Chickens and Turkeys living together??

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by JenGalbraith, Mar 22, 2013.

1. JenGalbraith

JenGalbraith Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2013
    Inman, SC
    My husband is putting the final touches on our chicken coop this afternoon. We are planning on starting our flock with 2 Buff Orpingtons and 2 Americauna hens. My husband however has gotten Turkey fever and would now like to get a couple turkeys. Is it ok to keep them all in the same enclosure?

2. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    first thing first, call your county extension office and find out from their poultry division if blackhead is an issue in your area. If it is, no dice on the turkeys. If it isn't an issue in your area you still want to do your research about turkey keeping.

My turkeys have their own house, but the chickens like to hang out in there to dustbathe when the weather has been wet. I even have a chicken who has decided she is a turkey and now lives with them (despite everything I have done to keep her from doing it, she's a sneaky one).

3. birdsss

birdsss Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2012
    Sardis Arkansas
    in one of my pens i have about 30 chickens and 3-5 hen turkeys. it's about a quarter acre or more with a big coop in the middle. they generally do fine with the chickens and dont cause any problems. at treat times they can get a little pushy but nothing serious. they roost right in the middle of all my chickens on the same roost, use the same nest boxes and go in and out on the same routine with the chickens. dont forget turkeys can fly and will get out of your pen easily unless you have 8-9+ fencing and/or clip a wing. i like my turkeys, they lay like crazy, are broody as all heck. dont forget to make your nest boxes and entrance door, also roost height to accomodate the bigger birds

my currently broody turkey named bojangles. sittin on 15 chicken eggs.
    [​IMG]

and her sister

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by