chickens and vegetable gardens??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by vtsarahb, Apr 26, 2009.

1. vtsarahb

vtsarahb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Bradford, VT
    I am planning on free-ranging my chickens when they're old enough.... will they bother with pumpkin plants? what about corn seedlings? We are trying to estimate how much fencing we'll need for our garden. Thanks!

2. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    i would imagine they would. I would but a fence around your tender plants or the whole garden if you want to spare them.

3. purecountrychicken

purecountrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    Gray Court, SC
    yeah,,chickens and gardens dont mix well.

4. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    To a chicken, the whole world is its salad bowl, and underneath is its dust-bathtub. They love to peck at green growing things, especially new tender seedlings. And they love to scratch and dig in dirt with their big dinosaur feet, then lay themselves down and dust-bathe in it.

Fence the garden or the chickens.

5. AboutSixPounds

AboutSixPounds Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2009
    Northern Piedmont, NC
    Yep, if you plant it, they will come (and destroy!). Fence it in. I've learned one solid truth in less than a year of keeping chickens: There's no such thing as chicken-proofing a garden. Chicken-resistant, sure, but not chicken-proof. They're tricky!

6. vtsarahb

vtsarahb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Bradford, VT
    Thanks everyone! I guess we'll have to go get some more fencing!

7. n2h20

n2h20 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Pasadena Ca
    i had about 20 corn seedlings that were about 2"s tall,, they are gone now,,, chickens hopped the fence and either scratched or pecked the corn seedlings,,, boo

8. montcapu

montcapu Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    laingsburg, MI
    Quote:sad for you... I am just still waiting to be able to plant anything here

9. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    when you are looking at that nice tomato ripening on that vine, so pretty, and tasty looking, and then you see that your chicken has poked a big hole in not one, but many of your yummy red ripe tomato's!!!!

10. montcapu

montcapu Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    laingsburg, MI
    Quote:I actually inquired my delawares from a lady who could not keep them out of her garden, she ssaid they ate everything and she could not stand it, I have fencing around mine so had no problem last year

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by