Chickens and Veggie Gardens?

Chickens and Gardens: one, the other or both?

• Both chickens and a vegetable garden

Votes: 19 90.5%
  • Chickens only

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vegetable Garden only

• I have chickens and used to have a garden but no more

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • I have a garden but no longer keep chickens

• Neither, I'm just on here for the social aspect

• Total voters

woodmort

RIP 1938-2020
9 Years
Jul 6, 2010
This morning's paper (Binghamton NY Press) had a front page article on urban "farming" (apparently they just discovered that people in the area are keeping chickens). They also point out the increase in the number of people keeping vegetable gardens. It got me to wondering: How many on here both keep chickens and have a home garden?

If we don't get any rain in SE PA, it won't be worth considering the thought of a garden. Lowest rainfall in our county this year since they started keeping records 143 yrs ago. Our flock is using the garden as a dusting place these days. And I do mean dusting.

If we don't get any rain in SE PA, it won't be worth considering the thought of a garden. Lowest rainfall in our county this year since they started keeping records 143 yrs ago. Our flock is using the garden as a dusting place these days. And I do mean dusting.
Sorry to hear about the drought there. We went through the same thing last year here in Texas. I went ahead and fertilized and mulched the garden for when the rains returned, my neighbors thought I was nuts. The rain returned and I was ready to go , my neighbors had to play catch up. Use the down time to prep yours, let the chickens stir the mulch in for you.

i have a main veggie garden, a green house, lots of flower gardens, and now we have 7 chicks that are going to be added to the mix....
did i mention there are also 2 dogs and 3 toddlers in that mix? lol

we don't keep a vegetable garden anymore, but we have fruit trees and I have tons of flowers planted all over the yard.

I have a 9 acre property. About 1-1.25 acre used for garden. About 1 acre for house and grass. I just got my first batch of chicks this week and plan on using at least part of my garden to grow "feed" type crops for the chickens

I have both on my less than acre lot. I let the chickens roam in the spring,fall,and winter,but in the summer they have an enclosed area away from the gardens.

We had to much moisture here in NE Ohio.I have had shrubs dying from root rott due to all the water.Hope the water gets to PA!

Back
Top Bottom