Chickens and Warble Flys

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Peaches Lee, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I wasn't sure where to post this but here it is. I believe my chickens snatched up a warble fly larvae the other day. I just remember seeing them going crazy for a disgusting, skin shuddering, black larvae looking thing. Of course, they wouldn't let me get a good look at it and someone ate it. I can't remember if it was the same day or not, but I noticed one of my Golden Comets' face was swollen on her right side. We thought perhaps a bee sting because they had been foraging. Anyways, it's been about 3 days and my pullet still has some swelling and I have heard that warble larvae may contain toxins--if it was indeed a warble could that have caused the swelling in her face?

Thanks for any help--even my vet was stumped about the whole warble thing. [​IMG]

2. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    I just read a little about them. It doesnt appear that a warble fly larvae would cause her face to swell. Do you have these where you live?

3. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    This is the first warble fly I have ever seen, and my mother's second time (her grandfather showed her one from a cow). I'm not sure it was a warble fly larvae, but our one horse had the wounds that point to warble fly. Thank you for your input. I haven't really been able to find much info or pictures on warble larvae [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by