1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens and Wild Deer?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Patinas, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Patinas

Patinas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2017
    Washington
    This happened yesterday afternoon. A wild, young deer, came into the yard and the chickens were out free ranging. Some of the chickens were immediately curious about this visitor so they went walking up to it. The deer was curious too but not alarmed. They were all looking at each other and then, strangely enough, the deer actually tried to play with them!!

At that point I ran into the house to get my camera and change lenses and by the time I got back outside, all the chickens had wandered off but one of my blue andalusians still hanging with the deer and browsing with it

Anyone else experienced this kind of behavior between deer and chickens? It was really funny to see the deer trying get them to play with her!

Deer-and-Chicken2.jpg
    Deer-and-Chicken1.jpg

Robz & Genia, Maeschak and Junochick like this.
  2. Molpet

Molpet Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2015
    N. Illinois
    the deer come up all the time, but my turkeys think the deer want THEIR mulberries and comfrey and chase them off

Patinas likes this.
  3. MattyE

MattyE Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2017
    North Carolina
    My Coop
    I get this a lot, my chickens don't really pay any attention to the deer until they start trying to eat from the honeysuckle bush.. but the chicks, deer, and rabbits will all play nicely. Groundhogs on the other hand, send our rooster into a frenzy and get ran out of the yard..

Patinas and Robz & Genia like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by