1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens and Worms Question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bridebeliever, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Bridebeliever

Bridebeliever Chillin' With My Peeps

Is it only a matter of time before chickens get worms! I'm a new chicken mom and my babies are only 2 weeks old but I want to be prepared. Do you preventatively treat them? I know you have to worm cats that live outside. I guess especially if your chickens catch and eat mice they would get worms. What should I keep on hand and when do they get de-wormed?

2. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012

How many chickens do you have?

-Kathy

3. Bridebeliever

I have 9 and plan to add 8-10 more when these are about 6 months old. Their coop is 8'x15' fully enclosed. They will have a large run area. (Larger than their coop.)

4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012

You should probably invest in some Valbazen (albendazole).

-Kathy

5. Bridebeliever

When do they get worming medicine?

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012

The best thing to do would be to collect a bunch of fresh poop, place it in a ziplock bag, stir well and have a vet do a fecal egg count. I worm at least twice a year, but some people worm more often.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by