Chickens and your yard.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by churchx3, Sep 29, 2010.

1. churchx3

churchx3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Georgia
    My 20 chickens free range in my back yard 3-4 hours a day...I am needing to put down some seed and maybe fertilizer or lime?? What do most of you do to repair your yards in the spring and fall as respects fertilizers, seeding, etc? I would think fertilizers would be a no-no but what about lime??

2. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I use pelleted lime and just reseed as per normal but will try to reseed bare spots a little differently. I cover those with a light sprinkling of hay and lay down a length of chicken wire on top to prevent the gals from eating those seeds and scratching the area for more.

The areas I get that become bare of grass is directly by the pop door entrance and the gal's favorite dusting spots near the base of the buildings and trees.

3. churchx3

Mar 30, 2010
    Georgia
    anyone else??

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I patch areas of my lawn, cover it with straw and then fence it off (until it's ready to mow) with poultry netting otherwise it gets scratched up as quickly as I put it down. I don't bother with lime or fertilizer. I have a very casual attitude about my lawn. I am much more interested in my gardens.

5. churchx3

Mar 30, 2010
    Georgia
    Quote:I used to spend countless hours gardening until I got chickens :) I enjoy them so much more now I gave up on the gardening.

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I'm one of those folks who thinks chickens in the front yard are prettier than any lawn. Which is a good thing, because they trash lawns.... BIG time.

7. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Yeah, I call my chickens my living lawn ornaments.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by