Chickens anf guineas?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by OkChickens, Dec 2, 2010.

1. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    I'm getting a few guineas tomorrow and can they eat the same food as my chickens? Layer crumbles, pellets, and scratch?

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes. And if you plan to free range them, be sure to keep them penned at least a month before turning them out. Also, they can fly, so you have to have wire over your run. Have fun. They are very comical, but they are certainly not like chickens.........Pop

3. OkChickens

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    Thank you!

4. OkChickens

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    Do you think they might kill my chickens? They are 8-9 months old and my chickens are around 3.5 and 5 months old. I have 5 roosters so far out of the 52 chickens. Please let me know! Thank you!

5. thebirdguy

thebirdguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2010
    Idaho Falls
    For guineas to do the best, they really need a higher protein feed than your layers.. a good game bird or meat grower would work.. They should get along with your chickens after the initial "addition" to the flock time frame. There are even cases of guinea chicken crosses occurring.. They are funny fun little birds!! Make great watch dogs too..

6. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I fed my guineas same as my chickens and they did fine, but I'd keep them separated for a period to make sure they get along OK. My guineas grew up with chickens but they can be nasty to chickens if not used to them. I'd separate them with fence to see how they react. And remember to keep the guineas penned up for a good while so they know to return if you let them out!

7. BlacksheepCardigans

BlacksheepCardigans Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2010
    Southeast NH
    We love our guineas; we have ten. They have been raised with the chickens since they were day-olds and they're quite bonded to and protective of the chickens; I swear they can count, and if they're missing more than one or two chickens they raise the alarm. They are the first into the run every morning and they scout for danger (and the best bugs). They do need a higher-protein food, though - we're continuing to feed starter even though the chickens into grower age because we need to make sure the guineas are OK. When we switch to layer we'll need to find a high-protein one for the same reason. Either roof the run or clip wings, because they can fly over any barrier, and if you're suburban be aware of noise. So far we've been able to avoid the famous guinea screaming because we keep them calm and happy, and their run is not in sight of the road or someplace they could see intruders. But if they do get worried... wow. I once made the mistake of taking several of "their" chickens out of the coop and the guineas decided that was unacceptable. My husband was trying to yell something to me from a few yards away and all I could see was his mouth moving. That's how loud they are.

8. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Quote:I did the same thing! My coop was overcrowded so I attempted to move several of the chickens out to a secondary coop. You would have thought I was trying to murder them. They went on for an hour straight and I ended up putting the chickens back and just saying OK just DEAL with the overcrowding silly birds!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by