Chickens are all agitated and squaking

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Justicedog, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Justicedog

Justicedog Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2012
    I'm new to chickens, got 6 female chicks in early April. My barred rock started to lay a week or so ago. The others haven't. Although, the last egg I found was 2 days ago in the middle of the coop, rather than the nesting box, which makes me think that a new one has started laying.

This morning, the girls are very agitated and noisy. Most have gone into the coop and are clucking away, one is outside pacing.

I don't see any signs of preditors trying to get into their enclosed run.

I do sometimes let them roam the yard, could it be they just want out? They've got water, feed, scratch.

What could be the matter?

2. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    Even though they are not laying the hens can and will do the egg song. If one is laying then all where proably squawking with her. I have four laying hens and when one lays they all carry on. Just keep checking untill you get used to the squawk. There will be a different squawk when a preditor is around.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Somebody new is going to lay an egg today. They get agitated and pace when they start laying. They don't know what to expect or when the egg will come. Watch where you step!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  4. Justicedog

May 2, 2012
    Ok, you guys are right - I did get a new egg, not in the nesting box but near it. It's not the same nesting box as the other one uses.
    It's also not the box that the golf ball is in.

They scared me with all their noise and pacing, I'd not heard them carry on like that for such an extended period of time.

Though, the one who has been laying in a nesting box hasn't in a couple days, so I suppose I can worry about her. :) Will they use the same nesting box or will they switch it up?

5. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    They usually pick a favorite nesting box and all cram into it and fight over it. Congrats on the new egg!

6. Justicedog

May 2, 2012
    Thanks. Next question is nearly egg sized poop normal? Some/one of my girls will produce more poop than a small dog. Nice and easier to pick up, so I'm all for it, but I think wow.

7. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yep, normal. Chickens poop..............................a lot. You think that's bad, wait until you have a broody. Not only is it huge, but it is beyond nasty in smell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by