chickens are babe magnets!

frankenchick

Crowing
15 Years
Apr 20, 2007
Benton Twp., Michigan
The "under-5" set along our country road love to come feed their scraps to the chickens. It has given me a great chance to get acquainted with my younger neighbors and do a little chicken PR.
smile.png

Is there anything they shouldn't feed the chickens? We've learned that they don't like celery and that mac 'n' cheese gives 'em the poops, but is there anything that is actually bad for chickens?

Far as I've heard here, tater peels & avocados are no-nos. And salty stuff. Keep that to a minimum. There are probably more, but that's all I can remember.

I just try to keep the salt in left overs and treats down like cookinmom says, but as for potato peels and other stuff like that, I find my hens just don't eat it. Haven't had a problem yet and everything left overs goes out to them.

not much they CANT eat...but definitively watch the salt. That means only a couple potato chips every once in great while!

However, you can also hang a small pail of chicken scratch or other treats on the fence that the kids can reach. Then your chickens will get good treats all the time.

Keep up the good PR!

Sandra

However, you can also hang a small pail of chicken scratch or other treats on the fence that the kids can reach. Then your chickens will get good treats all the time.

better yet, invest in a gumball machine that takes real money and make the little ones bring their quarters to feed the chickens!
wink.png

I feed mine any and all table scraps, they won't eat it if it's not good for them.
Quote:
better yet, invest in a gumball machine that takes real money and make the little ones bring their quarters to feed the chickens!
wink.png

That's not very good PR!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom