1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chickens are babe magnets!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by frankenchick, Aug 4, 2007.

1. frankenchick

frankenchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    The "under-5" set along our country road love to come feed their scraps to the chickens. It has given me a great chance to get acquainted with my younger neighbors and do a little chicken PR. [​IMG]

Is there anything they shouldn't feed the chickens? We've learned that they don't like celery and that mac 'n' cheese gives 'em the poops, but is there anything that is actually bad for chickens?

2. cookinmom

cookinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    Far as I've heard here, tater peels & avocados are no-nos. And salty stuff. Keep that to a minimum. There are probably more, but that's all I can remember.

3. FamilyOfChickens

FamilyOfChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Northwest Indiana
    I believe you can't feed them onions...And anything with a very strong flavor will make their eggs taste bad, if I remember correctly.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I just try to keep the salt in left overs and treats down like cookinmom says, but as for potato peels and other stuff like that, I find my hens just don't eat it. Haven't had a problem yet and everything left overs goes out to them.

5. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Quote:mine run over each other for mac n cheese.

Mine love tomatoes, grapes & berries. They aren't big on citrus (sp?) bell peppers or mushrooms.

6. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    they cant have citrus i dont think

7. SandraChick

SandraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

not much they CANT eat...but definitively watch the salt. That means only a couple potato chips every once in great while!

However, you can also hang a small pail of chicken scratch or other treats on the fence that the kids can reach. Then your chickens will get good treats all the time.

Keep up the good PR!

Sandra

8. rrrsmom

rrrsmom Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2007
    salt lake city, Ut
    However, you can also hang a small pail of chicken scratch or other treats on the fence that the kids can reach. Then your chickens will get good treats all the time.

better yet, invest in a gumball machine that takes real money and make the little ones bring their quarters to feed the chickens! [​IMG]

9. broncbuster07

broncbuster07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2007
    Waxahachie, TX
    I feed mine any and all table scraps, they won't eat it if it's not good for them.
    Quote:
    That's not very good PR! [​IMG]

10. mountainvieworchards

mountainvieworchards Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Corvallis, Oregon
    no chewing gum!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by