1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens are beautiful birds - my story begins

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by tatiana4eva, Apr 9, 2016.

1. tatiana4eva

tatiana4eva Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2016
    Brunswick, OH
    Hello everyone! I am so excited about my new coop that we got yesterday!!!

I always wanted to keep chickens in my backyard. My husband and I bought a house this past summer and of course the first thing on my mind was to make my long-time dream come true.

So we got the coop yesterday - the one I fell in love with. It's a 6x8 chicken condo with five windows, access door, turn-out door, four nesting boxes with egg doors, roosts, and ramp from interior to wire enclosed area below.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Our friend helped us transport the coop, but it's currently stuck in the middle of the backyard because the grass is too wet and we got bunch of snow overnight.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So hopefully, the coop will be moved and finalized by the end of next week and I will start looking into getting around 6 (for the start) chickens. I would love to keep a few different kind and wanted to ask if that would be a good idea? Would they all get along?

Besides eggs, I want to keep chickens because I believe they are absolutely beautiful birds!

Some of the pretty ones I am considering to have:
    - Silkies
    - Wyandottes
    - Polish chicken
    - Sebright
    - Barbu d'Uccle
    - Barnevelder

I am excited to join the Backyard Chicken community and share my experience along the way.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  2. tatiana4eva

tatiana4eva Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2016
    Brunswick, OH
    I have ordered my first six chickens today online! They will arrive on May 9th and will be a day-old chicks. So excited!

Here are the breeds that I got:

Blue Andalusian
    -->Sex->Females
    1​
    Buff Brahma Bantam
    -->Sex->Females
    1​
    Easter Egger Bantam
    -->Sex->Females
    1​
    Mille Fleur d'Uccle Bantam
    -->Sex->Females
    1​
    Assorted Rare Breeds
    -->Sex->Females
    2​

I will also be looking for Silkies / Frizzles / Polish locally, want to try to keep all chicks similar age.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by