Chickens are Better than TV

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cottagechick, Aug 13, 2011.

1. cottagechick

cottagechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    The past three weeks I have been chasing my two 3/4 month old Bantam Araucanas around the yard every afternoon sometime between 3 and 5 to put them away. Tonight I decided to wait a little longer. I thought maybe they would hunker down somewhere and I could just pick them up. So we start cooking dinner and they come to the screen door where they like to hang out and nibble on potted plants. It is still very light out. They start acting really CRAZY! The older one was Jumping on the chair and on the table onto a plant shelf. Then she would fall off the plant shelf. The younger one was cheeping her little heart out. We had a lot of laughs watching them while we ate dinner. I THOUGHT she was yelling at her sister telling her not to jump so high. I couldn't figure out what she was trying to get at. I thought maybe it was the fly strip...but no. I thought maybe it was the mint plant I had hanging there. After she dive bombed into the Aracadia door a couple of times I took it down to see if that was what she wanted. Nope. I went inside to watch her a little longer. She kept dive bombing the window. By this time they are quite hysterical with the bawking and the cheeping. It finally dawns on my little pea brain that they might want to go to bed. I go back outside and the 4 month old is hunkered down under the 3 month old like she is her mama. I grab for them and somehow manage to get the one on the bottom. I put her in the dog crate we have been keeping them in until their coop is finished. They then begin doing the pitiful calling that they do when they are separated. The other one comes and jumps in the pen. I don't know what cracks me up more. That I failed so badly at chicken charades or that they could have walked ten feet and put themselves to bed without all the drama. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  2. dldolan

dldolan WineNChooks

Aug 11, 2010
    Sonoma County, CA
    No, NO, putting them to bed is what YOU are for! [​IMG]

3. 7&8

7&8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    Maine
    I've noticed that many conversations I have about chickens include the word "drama." No, let me change that to "DRAMA." [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by