Chickens are bleeding - BLOODY/GRAPHIC images BE WARNED

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Krisy624, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Krisy624

Krisy624 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2011
    southeast Ohio
    I went out today to feed/water the chickens and get eggs - egg production has been down this past week but I just figured it was do to the weather change/all the rain.

I went out today and found blood on one of the tetra tints that looked like someone had pecked at him. They have all been abnormally quiet today as far as noise.

2 of the road island red sexlinks have bloody behinds! at first the one looked like it had been pecked at as well and the other one I don't know what is going on!! Yikes!! Please help. I remember reading somewhere on here about organs popping out - is this what is happening? I do not have the time right night to look it up to make sure that is the problem. I started giving them some corn about a couple of weeks ago just for some extra snack, but they have rocks and some sand in their run to help digest that.

Any help would be great - here are the images i was able to snap... THEY ARE GRAPHIC - BE WARNED!!!

Only one will load up for now - so I will be adding the other 3 when they can - i just want to get this posted as fast as possible.

[​IMG]

2. FourPawz

FourPawz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Virginia
    Your poor birds. It does look like they're pecking at each other. Sometimes it helps if you can give them more space, so they can get away more easily from the one that's doing the pecking.

3. Krisy624

Apr 10, 2011
    southeast Ohio
    Their actual coop is 10x10 and their run is 14x14. I have 8 hens and 1 rooster. I actually never close the door between the run and the coop so they have that full space to run around in. I don't know who is pecking at whom at the moment. I saw the tetra tints and thought first that it was pecking until I saw the 2 behinds on the rhode island reds and then was worried it was organs out of their behinds.

4. Krisy624

Apr 10, 2011
    southeast Ohio
    I was just watching them and the one that has what looks like to be something coming out of her behind keeps trying to pull the feathers out that are still back there!! Help!

5. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    If it was me I'd separate the two bloody ones from all the rest (and them from each other, if possible) and into a dark spot. I'd also, when they're calmer after the move, try to clean off the butt so you can see what you're working with and we can help you further. If they're still bleeding throw some flour or corn starch on it for now.

Keep us posted.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  6. remuda1

remuda1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Granbury, Texas
    Quote:X2

7. Krisy624

Apr 10, 2011
    southeast Ohio
    Here are more pictures -

I tried to clean the 2 chickens but they wouldn't let me know.

Here are pictures

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    definitely separate them, the others will peck them and eventually could do serious damage and even kill them. Clean them up and put them in a dark quiet spot away from the others until they are healed.

9. Krisy624

Apr 10, 2011
    southeast Ohio
    So are they just pecking at each other then and it isn't where parts of the insides are coming out?

The main pictures that I have of the hen is the hen that is straining/contracting her muscles

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  10. raykour1

raykour1 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2011
    From the photos, it appears to be just pecking. If the hen is not straining, there is probably nothing coming out. Usually, a prolapse results in discomfort.

I would still separate those 2 hens from each other, because they might take to pecking each other. BLood is a powerful stimulator for that.

Wash the area well and apply a spray like blu-kote (it is fine to use on chickens) or a tea tree oil/vitamin A/D/E spray and let the gals heal COMPLETELY before putting them back with the flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by