Chickens are digging in the landscapes...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicks Galore3, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    My chickens have started digging the the landcape! Needless to say, my Mom isn't happy about it. Is there something I can put in there that they don't like to discourage them digging? There is hastas where they are digging, and they have never bothered it until now. Now it is filled with pot holes, and they are digging through the layer of slate rocks and are mixing the dirt below with the rocks and it doesn't look very nice...

2. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

Best thing you can do to keep them out is to fence them out (or fence them in a run).

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

The feather footed bantams don't scratch as much.

But they aren't the reliable heavy-duty egglayers either, which you probably have and want.

I agree with popsicle.

4. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Basically, you're doomed. I've found that pullets don't scratch as much as hens, but hens are TERRIBLE. They'll destroy everything. They'll dig up bulbs. They'll eat your tomatoes. They'll rip out flowers. They LOVE to dig in mulch, so mulching things actually makes the problem worse. Mine got out of the pasture last week, and ate all the leaves off all the kohlrabi and Brussels sprouts plants.

The only way to stop them from digging in the landscaping is to put them behind a fence. A 4' fence is sufficient as long as you clip their wings.

1 person likes this.
  5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    x2. You can have free range, unrestricted birds, OR you can have landscaping. Not both.

6. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    The feather footed bantams don't scratch as much.

I've got a bantam cochin that thinks he's a rototiller

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  7. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

Landscaping or run... yup, gotta agree with that.

8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

LOL

9. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Ok, thanks guys!

10. lizmcd

lizmcd Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2012
    Florida
    My hens have destroyed my back yard. I'm a huge out doors woman. I built them an area they can do whatever they want. My only problem is I'm afraid they will fly over the fence now to go back to the yard they loved so much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by