chickens are drinking the ducks water

MantherPanther

In the Brooder
May 4, 2015
Venus, Texas
I house my two ducks with my 10 chickens. I have a sand turtle filed with water for the ducks to bathe in,but my chickens drink out of it from time to time. My ducks poop in it, what should I do? I don't want my chickens to get sick. I do offer a hanging water bucket with nipples as well. Any advice will help.

You can learn to ignore it or separate the ducks. Chickens and ducks will drink from any available water. They have been doing it for as long as there have been chickens and ducks. Besides they are already exposed to what ever the ducks may carry, since they share the same living space.

You can learn to ignore it or separate the ducks.  Chickens and ducks will drink from any available water.  They have been doing it for as long as there have been chickens and ducks.  Besides they are already exposed to what ever the ducks may carry, since they share the same living space.

Will I still be able to eat their eggs?
I'm new at this so I'm not sure about everything. I clean it every day or every other day.

The eggs will be good. Their digestive tract and the immune will take care of most of the bugs. And there is a disconnect between their digestive tract and the egg tract. So unless the chicken is sick I wouldn't worry.

The eggs will be good.  Their digestive tract and the immune will take care of most of the bugs.  And there is a disconnect between their digestive tract and the egg tract.  So unless the chicken is sick I wouldn't worry.

Awesome. Thank you.
1f604.png

I have a similar situation. We've had our ducks for years and the chickens happily drink their water. Actually, what they like best is when I tip the kiddie pool up and spray it out, then water runs across the run making puddles. The chickens rush around to both drink that water and feast on the bugs that were under the pool. They think it's a buffet!

I have a similar situation. We've had our ducks for years and the chickens happily drink their water. Actually, what they like best is when I tip the kiddie pool up and spray it out, then water runs across the run making puddles. The chickens rush around to both drink that water and feast on the bugs that were under the pool. They think it's a buffet!

Lol,mine do the same thing when I dump mine out too.

Back
Top Bottom