Chickens are dying daily in North Central Florida.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by thetoprabit, Jun 18, 2010.

1. thetoprabit

thetoprabit New Egg

Apr 14, 2010
    Within the last 2 weeks, I have lost 7 birds: 1 Barred Rock, 1 Cochin, 1 Araconna and 4 RIRs. There really are no symptoms...they are fine and running around in the evening and found dead in the morning. When I remove the dead body it is soaking wet. All the others are OK, but the dead one is wet. I have my birds in 4 separate areas away from each other and have had birds die in all the cages. If anyone has any clue as to what is going on and more so how to stop it...PLEASE let me know. Also I would like to know if you have heard of anyone else having the same problem.

2. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    The only thing I can think of that would make a bird soaking wet is being carried around in a dog's mouth, being outside all night on the ground and getting covered in dew- or someone putting it into a bucket of water. Can anyone or anything get into these pens? Are these in cages or pens? I suspect the bird is dying early and getting covered in dew during the night, but it could be something else weird. There are no diseases that I can think of that makes a bird wet- they don't sweat ect. You need inspect the next body if there is one very closely for wounds or anything else unusual. Send one to your state lab (what state are you in?) for a necropsy. Also read the top sticky and post more about the birds- age, breed, how long have you had them, any new birds recently, diet ect. Are these hens, pullets, roosters, cockerels?

3. thetoprabit

thetoprabit New Egg

Apr 14, 2010
    They are in 4 different areas on my property. One is a big pen, one is a tractor and the others are cages. As far as I can tell, nothing entered any of them. They are all locked up with no evidence of any tampering. All but 2 of my birds are 6-7 months old and I have had them since they were a day old. I only had 1 rooster and sadly, he died. I have not introduced any new birds lately. Breeds: Barred Rock, RIRs, Arraconnas and Cochins. I live in North central Florida. I thought it might have been the feed, so I got some from a friend who is not having problems with her chicks and mine still keep dying. It is weird and I hate to think what I will find in the morning again.

4. babsbag

babsbag Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    Anderson, CA
    Are the cages and runs covered? Just making sure it isn't for dew. That is really weird. You don't have any crazy neighbors that hate your birds do you?

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Perhaps you could contact someone or if you know someone that could do a necropsy on one of your chickens at the vet school at the University of Florida, or contact your county extension agent for help. Good luck.

6. Vedwards

Vedwards Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Maybe it's the heat. The heat index is 108 here today. What is it there?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by