Chickens are dying!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Frady’s Chicken Lady, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Frady’s Chicken Lady

Frady’s Chicken Lady In the Brooder

Dec 30, 2017
    I have been a chicken owner for several years now with a flock of anywhere from 20-50 birds. Every year a few birds die for no apparent reason. However I have had 4 birds die recently within about six weeks. 2 were just found dead in the coop and 2 had been staying away from the flock so I caught them and within a day they were dead. Has anybody got any answers? I’m wondering if this is Mereks or coccidosis?? Not sure if the spelling is correct.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It would be good to know the ages and the symptoms you were seeing before the chickens got sick or died. The best way to know if there is a disease going through a flock is to get a necropsy performed by sending in a refrigerated body to your state vet or poultry lab.

3. Frady’s Chicken Lady

Frady’s Chicken Lady In the Brooder

Dec 30, 2017
    The ages vary anywhere from 6 months to 2 years. One of these had no symptoms. Just was found dead in the coop. The other 2 stayed away from the flock and then was found dead. One was found in the coop and the other I had placed in a cage to try to help and died before the end of the day.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Mareks usually causes imbalance, weakness in a leg or wing, or a twisted neck. Poor immunity is common. There can be other signs. A necropsy by the state vet or a poultry lab would be the best way to test for it. Send a fresh refrigerated body on ice packs. Here is some contact information on state vets:
    http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Coccidiosis causes runny poops, sometimes bloody or orange gel, standing around hunched or puffed up, lethargy or sleepiness, poor feeding, and ruffled feathers. A fecal test can be done on droppings by a local vet to confirm that. Corid powder or liquid can be added to the water for 5-7 says to treat all chickens. It is more common in young chickens or in older birds with poor immunity.

In chickens 2 and over, reproductive problems are common. Those include internal laying, egg yolk peritonitis, and ascites or water belly.

During a very cold winter, there can be unusual losses if chickens are somewhat weak.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: