1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens are eating feathers !!!!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Triplell, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Triplell

Triplell Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2011
    Brainerd, MN
    [​IMG] My chickens are eating feathers. They have not started pulling the feathers out but eating the ones on the ground. I have heard that when they do this they are not getting enough protein. What would be the best thing to do. I have picked all the feathers out of the coop. I don't have alot of money but want the best for my chooks. Anyone have any idea's?

2. AnimalLady123

AnimalLady123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    At the computer
    If it's protein you wat give em' oyster shell!! [​IMG]

3. AnimalLady123

AnimalLady123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    At the computer
    Want* [​IMG]

4. Clay Mudd

Clay Mudd Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    South MS swamps
    What are you feeding them now?

5. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    Oyster shell is for calcium. There's no protein in it.

Tinned cat food (the beef sort) can apparently supply extra protein. You might also try one of the game bird feeds. Or you could find a low fat mince and give about a dessertspoonful per bird daily.

Unfortunately protein is one of the most expensive components of feed, but it's pretty crucial.

Good luck, I hope you find a cheap and reliable protein source.

6. Triplell

Dec 29, 2011
    Brainerd, MN
    Thank you for the comments. I have been feeding 16% layer crumbles with free choice of oyster shells and grit. I also was giving black oil sunflower seeds , I was also feeding freeze dried mealworms in with my warm mash. I went to the store tonite and looked at the protein levels. I was looking into the scratch but found out that oats has more protein then scratch and then with freeze dried mealworms I think i'm just gonna have to spend the money. When I gve them just a little they went crazy. I am gonna try this then I am gonna see how things are going.

7. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    By the by, they will eat feathers found on the ground normally. This is nothing to worry about. Its when they pick feathers off other chickens the fun begins.

8. Triplell

Dec 29, 2011
    Brainerd, MN
    Thanks, everything I have read has always stated that it's a bad thing. Thank you , Triplell

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by