Chickens are eating mice and moles.

chicknduck

Songster
9 Years
May 21, 2010
Ohio
So whe we were down with the chickens tis weekend we pulled up a tree stump and disterbed some moles. It was a free for all the ones that got in the run were devowered ripped apart and eaten. Yesterday I went to let them out and I saw them run under the coop where they had a mouse I think they pecked it to death and it fell thru the metel grate on the floor and they were just waiting to be let out to eat it . Is this normal? They do eat very well. But seem to really enjoy eating rodents.

Perfectly normal. They are still closely related to the velociraptors. I think the game of keep away they play when I give them a mouse is hilarious. Better than any TV show.

That is exacty what the did play keep away untill their was more intrest and then ate it. Glad to know it is normal. Thank you.

Excelent, good entertainment!

And those city beurocrat types figure chickens cause rodent problems...
roll.png

Actually they can cause rodent problems.

If you store your feed improperly, it will attract rodents. Many of us store feed where the chickens cannot get to it.

Feed can attract rats. Chickens cannot eat live rats. They are too big. Rats can eat baby chicks and eggs.

If feed is spilled in the coop, rodents will come out at night when the chickens are roosting and eat the feed. If you keep feed out 24/7, the rodents will come out at night when the chickens cannot see them.

Mice will nest and have babies where the chickens cannot get to them.

I would not try to argue that keeping chickens does not cause rodent problems. Even if you store the feed properly in metal containers and put the feed away at night, spilled feed will attract them. Since they are usually active at night, most of us never see them unless we find a nest while cleaning up.

I realized that but I could envision someone taking it seriously and quoting it in an argument at a city council meeting trying to get chickens legalized. Or a newby not realizing mice can be a problem, that chickens won't really take care of the problem. I know I can be too serious sometimes and often need to phrase things differently, but I see so many myths and so much misinformation on here. Some of them are started by the tongue in cheek comments. Many people just don't realize it is said in jest.

I realized that but I could envision someone taking it seriously and quoting it in an argument at a city council meeting trying to get chickens legalized.

Well that would be no less valid than some of the counter arguments posed. Yeh, sure cats catch mice so they are good, a typical city house cat is lucky to catch a mouse even if the cat has not been declawed. They don't go about catching sewer rats either. LOL seen a good number of city house cats brought out to the farm that can't pin down a cricket.

General human waste and garbage in cities is a far bigger contributing factor to rodents then chicken feed will ever be.

Anyway, I hear your concern in not taking it that chickens are an answer to rodents. Sometimes, I'm just a little too "farm" and possibly have some red highlights on my neck that compromise my ability to realy follow the logic of these city slicker anti chicken folk.​

We do use metal containers to store feed and clean it all up at night. I think it was in a big part due to ripping up roots and desterbing their homes. We also have alot of black cherry trees so I know we get some mice and chipmunks due to that food source. The cats generally get what mice come too close for comfort. But I know where you see one their are many more. Not really a problem with us seeing as our chicken coop is in the woods a far ways off from our house but I do appriciate all of the advice because I am still new to the chicken world.

"If you keep feed out 24/7, the rodents will come out at night when the chickens cannot see them. "

Does that mean that I should take down my girls' hanging feeder every night and store it in something?
hu.gif
:caf

Back
Top Bottom