Chickens are eating the herbs!? Question

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by SarniaTricia, Nov 27, 2011.

1. SarniaTricia

SarniaTricia Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi all,
    I'm in SW Ontario and the weather is starting to cool 60-65 during the day now.
    I let the girls roam in the garden to gather anything still eatable and get bug, worms and such.

Today the girls started eating the terragon.
    The other green choices were sage and rosemary. They pecked at these but didn't eat. I think due to the strong flavour.

My question: will the terragon make the eggs taste funny?

Thanks Patricia
    [​IMG]

2. TroutsChicks

TroutsChicks Fluffy Stuffins

Jun 5, 2011
    baxter Tn
    Mine love my rosemary, they didn't like the basil. The garlic they killed...I think they are pre-seasoning themselves [​IMG] But I haven't noticed any weird flavors in the eggs. But that don't eat much of it. They seem to mostly like to rub against the plant and scent themselves. weird huh?

3. peepacheep

peepacheep Chillin' With My Peeps

Lemon balm is a favorite of my chickens. Have a young Buff Brahma roo that calls to his pullets to him whenever he finds a new lemon balm plant. Other than beautiful gold yolks I have not noticed any plants that change egg flavor. Fish on the other hand is another matter. Adding smoke salmon to omelets is delicious, tuna cat food flavored scrambled eggs, not so delicious. [​IMG]

4. cottagechick

cottagechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    Quote:[​IMG] totally agree - even the thought of tuna flavored cat food eggs... is [​IMG] mine just about decimated my chamomile plant. For some reason their favorite place to take a dust bath is in my potted avocado tree on the porch...not sure if it going to survive their love...

5. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Mine like the lemon balm, thyme, and chocolate mint.

6. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    Mine have eaten oregano, marjoram, basil, mint, parsley, and sage. We haven't noticed any change in egg flavor though.

7. cottagechick

cottagechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    I have wondered. Feeding them garlic is supposed to be good for internal pests and turmeric is supposed to be good for just about everything. I have thought about sprinkling them in their food...but Turmeric especially is such strong spice that seems to permeate everything...has anyone tried this?

8. OwensMom

OwensMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    CO Western Slope
    I've used granulated garlic in their yogurt and cottage cheese. Have not noticed any change in egg flavor. Have not tried tumeric but I think that some(not alot) would be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by