1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chickens are eating the roundworms coming out of them

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by roz, Jun 21, 2011.

1. roz

roz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    MA
    So this is my first experience with worms. I found out yesterday that the girls have roundworms, so I am de worming them with piperazine (sp?), and from what I was told, the worms die once they hit the daylight (some of the run is totally shaded at all times...no sunlight), but is there any issue if the hens are eating them? It's crazy, it's like when they find bugs, and I tried to get one away from a couple of them, but they were too fast. While I would love to scoop each poop up as it is dropped today, that is really unrealistic, so I'm hoping someone can tell me there is nothing to worry about..

2. CYGChickies

CYGChickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    I have no solid idea but it seems to me if you gave the chickens an oral/injectable medicine, that eating a worm full of it wouldn't hurt. I can't see someone realistically making a med that would make your chickens poop poisonous worms--considering chickens' reputation for poop and bug eating. Hopefully someone else who knows for sure will reply but I doubt that it would hurt.

CYG

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I know that's gross. It sounds like the killed ones are being pooped out. Eventually there won't be anymore. I would wait a few weeks and worm again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by