Chickens are everywhere? Stark-raving mad???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mikarod, Jan 4, 2009.

1. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I went to let the dogs out at about 6:00AM and found all of my chickens from one coop outside of their coop. Mr. Mom and 2 of his black Australorps were outside in the corner on the ground and a Light Brahma hen was roosting on top of the fenceline.

I'm assuming the other 2 hens are still inside the coop, but haven't yet made my way outside as I know they will spook if I walk out there.

Any ideas on WHY the birds did this? How could the Light Brahma see well enough to roost on the wire fencing??? The moon is not full, but I can somewhat see outside without a flashlight.

The REALLY odd thing about this, is that I have had to "block" the bottom exit of the coop because of a possum getting in. The possum has not been back and apparently hasn't been able to get inside. This means the birds had to wake up, jump OVER the barricade and find somewhere else to sleep.

Again...any ideas?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  2. chantecler

chantecler Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Moncton New Brunswick
    [​IMG]
    Perhaps something inside the coop scared them? Something might have gotten in?

Have you checked yet?

I hope everthing is ok!!![​IMG]

3. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    I think some chickens are magicians.

I went out the other morning and found 10 Guinea's and 2 chickens outside. I have a concrete coop and the doors were shut and I am positive that I didnt miss 10 Guinea's not being inside when I locked the coop for the night. The ONLY exit is the cupola, which is open on four sides. So did they get out of the inside enclosre and figure out to fly up and out of the cupola?

magicians or my coop is haunted

4. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    It sounds like you need to figure out a new way to block the opening of your coop. Have you thought about building a pop-hole door with a ramp that swings up to completely close the opening?

5. mikarod

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Double post...sorry!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  6. mikarod

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Thing is, these birds have been in the same coop for 8 years or more. Mr. Mom has been in the same coop for 10 years of his life. BUT...I think I figured out why they did it.

I NEVER handle these birds...because they're just the production flock. So last night, I decided to medicate one of the hens that was wheezing and "sneezing" so bad that she couldn't even eat. I medicated her and today she's doing perfectly. Not a cough or a runny nose in sight. Anyway, I "think" that might have messed them up.

I'm just wondering why they waited until after I turned off the lights to do it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by