chickens are finicky eaters

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kdwag, Nov 26, 2012.

1. kdwag

kdwag Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2012
    Northwest Ohio
    My chickens are 12 weeks old and hate everything except chicken food. They will eat tomatoes but hate everything else I give them. Is this just because they are young or are they finicky? I've tried zuchinni, oatmeal, cooked celery/carrots, summer squash, and apples--

2. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Chickens tend to be afraid of anything new, especially when they are young. Just keep trying and they will get used to having different things.

3. kdwag

kdwag Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2012
    Northwest Ohio
    It is funny to see their reaction when I give them something different, i can only imagine what they're thinking. LOL

4. mickey328

mickey328 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    Whenever I approach they all come running anticipating a treat. Whatever it is they all pounce on it like they're starving. Most of the time they snarf it all down, but sometimes...they'll pick it up and toss it away several times, then one or two will decide it's okay. There are a few things they won't eat at all, but most things, if left in the run, eventually get eaten. I reckon they're like the young of any species...anything different is suspect and their tastes change as they go along. Mine won't eat strawberries, but love grapes; won't hardly touch a potato peel, go nuts for any kind of protein I've offered...meat, milk, cheese, yogurt, cooked dried beans. They'll eat most of our yard weeds, but dandelions are their fave. Weird though...if we put the run over the plants, they don't mess with 'em...if I pull them and toss 'em in there, they scarf 'em down. LOL...they're...weird...but funny!

5. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    They will get with the program. Mine eat almost anything that they can get. The rooster took the food away from the little dog the other day. We had to intervene, since the rooster is so much larger than the dog.

Chris

6. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Mine didn't REALLY start to like anything until they were 4 months old. The only thing they would eat was scrambled eggs. But once they hit the four month mark, they ate anything and everything. I also discovered chickens (at least mine) like mushy/gloppy/soft food to hard things.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by