1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens are home, long, but hopefully entertaining

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by curliet, Oct 30, 2008.

1. curliet

curliet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    west Michigan
    Well, yesterday was a big day for us. Early in the morning I went over and picked up my brother Chip, and we headed up north to the Barn to transfer the chickens back to town.
    It turned out to be a really nice day, with lots of sunshine, but cold. We knew that we had an adventure coming, but it went much better than we expected.

The first thing we had to do when we got there was to remove the back seat from my van (known as Chikn D’ Van) and spread tarps for the you know what. Then load the cages for transport and the feed bucket and water can, and the bags of feed, bedding, etc. Also had to remember to put in the heater for the water can and the heat lamp for just in case it gets terribly cold. Yes, that did take some time, and after we were done it was time for a coffee break, LOL. I think the break was just because we were reluctant to get started with the real work.

Anyway, finally got started and the decision was that I would go inside the coop, where the pop door had been closed so they were all right in there where I could reach them. The first one to get grabbed was Buff, my BO rooster. He surprised me by going very quietly and calmly, even getting put into his little private cage was easy. And the whole reason for taking him first was because I thought he would be a problem. After that the fun started.

I decided that since Chip had never been around chickens, and had definitely never held one, that I would have to give him an idea of how to hold them. Now, I understand that farmers and people who deal with lots of birds have ways of handling them that are more fast and efficient, but I treat my chicks like pets, and hold them like they are puppies or something in my arms. Gentle, but firmly. So Chip got his instructions, and the idea was that I would catch, and then hand one out the door of the coop to him and he would put it in cage in the van. Okay. So, I catch my favorite, Roadrunner, and hand her to Chip. He turns around and heads toward the van, and suddenly I hear “oops”. It seems that she began to wiggle and he didn’t dare to tighten his grip for fear it would hurt her, so he let go instead. Oh well. So then I said “I know, I’ll go in and catch one, and when I come out you close the door quickly and then open the cage for me and once it’s in, you close the cage.” Sounds good, doesn’t it? Well….the second chicken to run loose was because when I headed for the van with a chicken in hand, Chip only partly closed the coop door, and Curious ran out. Now, we’re going to try another tactic. Chip stays near the cage, and when I come out, closing the coop door behind me, he will open the cage and then after I stuff the chicken in, he will close it. No, I come running, and Chip opens the cage, but it never occurs to him that the chickens that are already there might try to run out. So, number 3 is running loose, after hopping out right past Chip. 1 hen in the cage, 3 hens in the yard, 13 hens in the coop. Time for another coffee break.

After coffee, I put Chip to work rearranging all the other things that were crammed into the van. We needed to be able to unload some things when we got home to our house and then some of the feed was going to go to the farm where the other chickens would stay. That kept Chip from letting more chickens loose, and before too long we had all the chickens in the cage, except the last 3 runaways. Coffee!

When we went back out, the 3 renegades were all standing in the back of the van looking into the cage at all their sisters, and it was fairly easy to just grab and stuff them in. OK! Now we’re ready to head back to town.

Home! Most of you know about the problems some of our members are having with their local municipalities regarding raising chickens in their neighborhoods. Our town says, “No chickens.” But, there is one of those unspoken things that says, “We don’t have the personnel to send someone out looking for violators. So, we will only investigate complaints.” Our neighborhood is middle class, most everyone works all day, and most of us get along really well. Rick and I had talked and decided that if we keep the girls in the dark until about 8:00 am, everyone should be gone to work. No one will hear the dance of joy inside the garage when they lay an egg. Our little attached run will be sheltered by the privacy fence all the way around the yard. They’ll go in at about dusk and if we turn the light off at about 6, it will be getting dark anyway, and it’s winter so everyone will be inside with doors and windows closed, no one should really know we have chickens. It will be a secret. There should be no complaints.

Chip and I pull the van so that the rear end is right inside the garage door, and we open the back double doors on the van. No one can see in. We start taking the girls that are staying home with us out of the cage, and I turn around to say something to Chip, and there standing right in the garage with us is my next door neighbor Randy. “What’re ya doin’?” Sez he. “mmm, nuttin’” I answer, kinda tremulously. “HEY!! Are those Chickens???” Crap!
    Randy finally went home with a dozen of the eggs that I had collected when we had gotten up north earlier, and I think we’re ok with him now.

It was almost anti-climactic when we went out to the farm with Buff and the rest of the girls, and our friend Lynne came and unloaded them and the feed into his coop. Although, I had a bad moment when I saw my babies being carried by their feet, hanging upside down, instead of being cuddled in the arms. Lynne was able to carry 4 chickens at a time that way. I guess that’s how farmers who don’t have all day to mess around with a few chickens go about it. And they didn’t seem to be bothered by it, so I didn’t say anything. But they have a very nice coop, in a horse stable that they will share with 4 horses, and a whole bunch of other chickens. He has black Auracanas, and some banties with cute little feathered feet, 70 head of cattle, several dogs and about 10000 cats that cuddle right up with the chickens. I can visit whenever I like, and will be going to drop off feed every now and then, so my babies won’t forget me. I hope.
    Anyway, that was our adventure for the day.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Sounds like you really did have an adventure. Glad you got them closer to you.

3. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    Thanks for making me laugh out loud so early in the morning. I could picture the whole thing!

Almost got coffee up my nose.

yes, 11 a.m. is sometimes feels early to me.... [​IMG]

4. cherig22

cherig22 Green Fields Farm

Sep 2, 2008
    SW Missouri
    Quote:LOL, that is what I almost did with soda, it's early evening now.

Sounds like fun, where is the camcorder when you need it.

Cheri;)

5. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    After about that second coffee break I'd be spiking the coffee. [​IMG]

6. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Quote:[​IMG]

I don't think Chip would have handled his part of the job any worse for it [​IMG]!

It reminded me of back on the farm and the visiting kids would head out into the pasture with us. They couldn't go 3 steps without stepping in a pile of cow poop!

What is it with the uninitiated and livestock??

Thanks for the fun, curliet.

Steve

7. curliet

curliet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    west Michigan
    I want to thank the powers that be for making a little concession in the wording of my story. 'Crud' actually comes much closer to the thought behind the word that I had originally used here, and was replaced by a different word. I do appreciate it, and do understand your needing to keep things in order for a varied readership.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by