Chickens are ill (respiratory), opinions please?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rhaj, Jul 4, 2010.

1. rhaj

rhaj Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    NE'ern Connecticut
    I recently got a silkie chicken that had goopy eyes... so much fluff I didn't notice til I got her home. The person I bought her from honestly didn't know and offered to take her back or exchange for another (15 months old). I know she feels horrible and has apologized several times. I did exchange for another- it was from the same pen, which I knew about. Her eyes were clear when I got her on 6/29. A couple days after I brought her home (7/1), of course her eyes were goopy too. I separated her and asked the seller what I should treat her with and she said Vet Rx. She said it is sinusitis. After calling all the local feed stores, I was unable to get my hands on it, so she said to get Duramycin, which I did. She has been on that (in her water) since, and also the rest of my flock as well to try to treat them/prevent. Her eyes look fine now, eating and drinking fine, but her breathing still has me sort of worried, she pants intermittently. Not ALL the time, but a lot.

So, today one of my golden comets (8 1/2 weeks old) was sneezing and breathing loudly, beak sometimes open slightly while breathing- eyes look fine (so far). I assume it is the same thing (even though no goopy eyes) because she hasn't been exposed to anything else, so I brought her in and put her in quarantine with the silkie.

Remember she has been treated as well, since 7/1. Will it still work for her since she came down with it while being treated???

It is probably the same thing, right? I hope so since I now have them together in quarantine. I can't really see how they would get different illnesses.

Duramycin will work, yes? Seller treated her flock with Vet Rx (and says they are doing ok) but I couldn't get that... I want ot make sure they will get better.

I took this video, it's a minute and a half long. You can see the silkie panting and my sex link sneezing. Any opinions on all of this? Help a newbie??? I really want to make sure they get better.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v11/ives6797/?action=view&current=002-15.mp4

Please click the above to view the video. Thank you so much.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I start with Duramayacin in the drinking water, along with some vitamins/electrolites, then if after 3 days there is no improvement, you've gotta use something stronger, like Tylan or Sulmet.

Good luck to you!
    Sharon

3. rhaj

May 30, 2010
    NE'ern Connecticut
    Can you get Tylan at TSC? I have read that people inject that and I don't want to mess that up. It comes in other forms too though, right? Hopefully at TSC?

4. gamamachik

gamamachik Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    South GA
    You can order it from Jeffers, and have it on hand...They have all of the meds including the vetrx...

5. rhaj

May 30, 2010
    NE'ern Connecticut
    Thank you. I'd like to get it tomorrow though, instead of waiting for shipping. Anyone get it from Tractor Supply Co?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by