Chickens are jumping out of coop. Will clipping their wings help?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MsChickenMomma, Feb 13, 2014.

1. MsChickenMomma

MsChickenMomma Overrun With Chickens

Dec 2, 2012
    Michigan
    My chickens are currently staying in a temporary coop in our garage until Spring when we can build them a new coop. The coop they are in is 5x7 and about 7-8ft high. The top is not covered, because we couldn't come up with a good way to cover it. I purposely only put the highest roost 3 ft off the ground thinking that that would keep them from jumping out.

I was wrong. One of my girls found out that if she stands on the roost, she can jump all the way across the length of the coop and up onto the top, and then she jumps down into the garage. Well, monkey see monkey do, now they all keep jumping out. :th Will clipping their wings keep them from jumping out? I really can't have them pooping all over the garage.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  3. MsChickenMomma

Dec 2, 2012
    Michigan
    I thought about doing something like this, but the problem I am having is that the coop only has two side that you can attach the netting to. The other two sides are the walls of the garage, and it is just a flat surface. There isn't anything to staple or tie it to. I was going to just hang some chicken wire up there, but after looking at the coop, there really isn't a way to make that work. The walls of the garage are that flimsy decorative board stuff (can't remember what it is called), so I can't nail any boards up either. :/

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Can you get a couple of pieces of strapping? You can then attach the wire or netting to the wall with the strapping, and finish the job attaching it to the walls of the coop. I agree with PP that clipping wing might not work. My girls can still make a vertical hop up 3' with clipped wing. Typically, only one wing is clipped on a bird. I don't know if clipping both would hinder them more or less than the single wing clipped.

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    If I understand right, can you put the chicken wire just across the triangle the top of the two sides you can attach things to? It sounds like those are where they are getting out anyhow, so if you can keep them off of that? If they start flying up and over from the garage wall side, that netting stuff really doesn't weigh anything, can you just put a hook or two on the garage sides to tie it to maybe if the chicken wire is too heavy? If you clip their wings also, it really shouldn't take much to keep them in if the top is that high even from the roosts.

6. MsChickenMomma

Dec 2, 2012
    Michigan
    Thanks for the advice. :) I'll have to look into both of those options for covering the coop.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Get a sheet of luan, (thin, light weight plywood) and attach it to the two walls.

8. ChickenCurt

ChickenCurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2014
    OR, make your chicken walls taller if you don't want to attach anything to the garage walls. Clipping wings won't help if their roost is that close to the top; a few of my hoppers clear 5 feet in a jump.

9. MsChickenMomma

Dec 2, 2012
    Michigan
    Well, I came up with something. I stapled chicken wire to the two walls of the coop, hung a 3 ft 2x4 across the wall attached to the side of the coop and stapled the chicken wire to that. It's not very pretty, but it should keep them from jumping out. Hopefully. [​IMG]

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

10. ChickenCurt

ChickenCurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2014
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by