chickens are laying eggs from the roost

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by alaskachick, Sep 25, 2010.

1. alaskachick

alaskachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Wasilla, Alaska
    My chickens just started laying in the last 10 day or so. The 7 Lt Brahmas seem to be having problems. Two of them, I don't know which two, are laying their eggs from the roost at night. I keep finding two small soft eggs under the roost. Is this something that they just need to figure out for them selves. All my other chickens eggs are hard and not soft so I know the calcium is available to them. Is it possible that the eggs are being forced out before they are ready by the chickens need to poop? The eggs are dropping to the ground from the roost about 3 feet so they don't survive the fall even though they are landing in a cloud of poop! Any advise would be appreciated.

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Sounds to me like they're just trying to get used to their cycle. A lot of oddities can happen to a laying pullet. I've had plenty of eggs being dropped, sometimes soft, from the perch. They should eventually find the right time to lay in the nesting boxes soon.

3. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Seems like my soft egg layers did much of their laying outside the nesting boxes.

4. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    When my girls were young, they would do the same from time to time. It will get better. Pretty soon the eggs will be where they should be....in the nesting boxes! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by