chickens are laying eggs under the coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Doodadman, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Doodadman

Doodadman Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2009
    They have abandoned the box for under the coop. I would like to get them back in the boxes.

2. chickenma

chickenma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Did you check the boxes if there is a snake in there or some thing else. my chickens did not want to lay in there boxes and didnot wanted to go close to the boxes and i find out that there was a big black snake under the bedding. [​IMG]

3. Doodadman

Doodadman Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2009
    I did check that out. There are no snakes here and the boxes are clean and with fresh pine shavings.

4. ameracauna-momma

ameracauna-momma Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2008
    Litchfield, CT
    Had the same problem, just filled in under the coop with gravel and put big stones around the perimeter, they decided it was easier to just go in the boxes.

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:[​IMG] block entrance from under coop:)

6. brewandplowfarm

brewandplowfarm New Egg

Sep 5, 2013
    So... Did you get any reponses??? Our girls seem to be going under the coop too. How do we stop it? We want them to have it as one of there places to run to safety, but they have beautiful nesting boxes, we would like them to use them. Any suggestions?
    Mamajay at brewandplowfarm

7. kschicks2013

kschicks2013 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2012
    Fernley, Nevada
    Is there anything wrong with the hens laying eggs in the basement of the house? My hens are young and that was her first egg.

8. brewandplowfarm

brewandplowfarm New Egg

Sep 5, 2013
    There is nothing wrong with laying under the coop if you can get to the eggs.
    I can't get to mine
    So I don't know if I have a problem yet or not.
    mamajay

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by