Chickens are losing weight and feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bobanna02, Oct 31, 2016.

1. bobanna02

bobanna02 New Egg

Oct 31, 2016
    Hi, I'm Joanna. I'm new to chickens and have learned from some of my friends with farms. I've asked for advice from them and we have them stumped. My fiance had chickens and we've added to the flock. We probably didn't handle it right, since it seems they've been sick off and on since.

1) What type of bird, age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
    They started out happy and healthy.
    [​IMG]

We have three types, Rhode Island Reds (1.5 years old had since chicks), 2 Buff Orpingtons (.5 years old purchased at feed store at 2 and 3 months old), and a Buff Orpington mutt rooster (about 2 years old from a friends' farm).
    The rhode island reds and the rooster seem to be losing weight and feathers. They have gotten scrawnier in the last month.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    We recently had to cull a rhode island red, because she seemed so sick and in pain, her fluffy feathers near her vent were all matted with poop and she was extremely lethargic, she smelled really bad too. She was missing most of the feathers from her front. We laid her down to check her out and she didn't fuss or run or anything.
    [​IMG]

We are worried the other rhode islands and the rooster have what she had.

The current chickens have lost feathers and weight, and the rooster's feet have pink on them. They are all missing feathers on their chests.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    We doctored them after she was culled with mite spray. They were missing feathers on their chests.
    This picture was about 3 weeks ago.

[​IMG]

For a month or two it seems the hens and rooster have had some issues.
    This picture is from last week.
    [​IMG]

One of the hens is looking particularly rough as well, I think both are struggling.
    [​IMG]

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    Yes, all but the buff orpingtons.
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    No bleeding or visible trauma.
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    About 3 months ago we treated them with a powder antibiotic in their water until they stopped sneezing.
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    Layena Pellets. It is hard to tell if one is eating and others aren't but the food seems to disappear at a normal pace.
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    There's some runny poop in the coop. Mostly solid poop in the coop.
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    So far, we've culled one chicken, and monitored the others.
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    We'd prefer to treat ourselves if possible. We will take to a vet if there's one that knows something. We are in NE Oklahoma.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    They are in an enclosure with a building containing their food, water and nesting boxes, and they have a run in the front with a dirt floor and roosting materials. There is ventilation in the building for them. The have nesting boxes with sachets of wormwood and we use pine shavings for bedding.

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Looks like you Rhode island reds are going through there first molt.What feed do you provide them?. Also check for mites but im pretty sure that's a molt[​IMG]

3. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    The reason you Buffs aren't showing it is because they are to young for a molt

4. bobanna02

bobanna02 New Egg

Oct 31, 2016
    We feed the Purina Layena feed. I think Shaun said they've molted once before.

We have mite spray, since it's getting cooler, should we do that in the morning, will it make them cold/sick?

Someone told me it is an odd time of year for them to molt. If that's it that's fantastic.

Do you have any idea what happened to the one we had to cull?

5. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    That person is wrong they only molt in the fall so they will have new fresh feathers to keep them warm in the winter

6. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    The one you culled might of been Egg bound but im not sure was she walking weird?The pink on your Roosters feet is likely Hormones

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  7. bobanna02

bobanna02 New Egg

Oct 31, 2016
    She wasn't walking weird, but when I caught her she wasn't moving at all basically. thank you for your help. We will just keep an eye on them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by