chickens are moulting - is this normal for november?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tazzy, Nov 8, 2009.

1. tazzy

tazzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Kentucky
    My two-year-old chickens are moulting. Is this normal for this time of year? It's cold in november! I can't help but worry that they'll freeze with all their feathers falling out. But if that's a normal behavior for this time of year, I guess they'll be fine. But is it normal? They are losing a LOT of feathers! But not the new ones born this spring, just my older chickens and rooster.

Thanks!

2. My roo blew ALL of his butt feathers a month or so back and now he has brand new ones to sport to the ladies.

He also molted out on his neck feathers, you could see the pins.

From what I understand it does not take a long time to replace a spot of feathers on birds.

Give them lots of protien while they molt and LOTS of fresh, clean water.

I always notice a whole lot more feathers in the barn during the fall period.

3. lalaland

lalaland Overrun With Chickens

Sep 26, 2008
    Pine County MN
    yes, I have hens who moult in winter. try to provide extra heat if necessary, and extra corn just before roosting time, and be sure to watch out for those drafts!

4. tazzy

tazzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Kentucky
    okay, thanks! it's so worrisome to even see the pin feathers on their wings! thanks for setting my mind at ease. we've had chickens for 2-1/2 years now and this is the first time I've noticed a moult. not sure how they did it undetected last fall. but I didn't see it that time.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by