Chickens are on a mission to China

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CherryChick, Jul 27, 2011.

1. CherryChick

CherryChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Indiana
    I was hoping to get some advice. How do you provide dust bathing in your coops/runs. Anyone have pictures of a dust bath pool?
    My girls right now are digging holes to bath in the dirt. I'm very impressed with them because it is a decent size hole right now in just two days time. They are well on their way to China. [​IMG]

2. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Don't worry, as they dig a new hole to cool in they may fill the old hole up. If your coop has a dirt or sand floor they will digg whether there is a bathe spot or not.

In the summer heat they dig to a cool spot and then lounge a bit.

3. suzyQlou

suzyQlou Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Dillsburg, PA
    My Coop
    I'm a little jealous because you mentioned just one hole. I bought into the whole chicken tractor idea, and I have a new hole (in a new place) every day. The girls sure are funny to watch when they are hard at work!

4. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Amen,.. sometimes I look outside and see my free rane chickens going to town digging with dirt flying up behind them in a cloud!

5. Darklingstorm

Darklingstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Durant, Oklahoma
    You should see the crater in my yard, not just the chickens but my dogs are digging huge holes. The dogs dug one so deep that when my full grown, full blood lab lays in it, you can't see her anymore.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by