Chickens are Pecking Each Other !

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickinsarecool, Aug 14, 2014.

1. chickinsarecool

chickinsarecool New Egg

Aug 14, 2014
    what do i do when my chickens start pecking each other and get injured [​IMG] . My hen whitney got pecked and so did Lily What should I do ? Here is A Picture of Whitney.
    [​IMG]

2. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    How many chickens do you have, and how much room is there? Sometimes chickens peck each other because they are bored or cramped.

3. bburks7

bburks7 Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2013
    they make ointment called "peck no-more" that you put on a hen where she is getting pecked and it prevents the others from pecking her

4. TheChickenFox

TheChickenFox Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2014
    Southwest Florida
    I am having the same issue all of a sudden. I have 3 white leghorns and 3 red sex links, all female, all about 20 weeks. The leghorns have all of a sudden become very aggressive toward the sex links. They live in about 60 square feet, and they free range for a few hours a day. One leghorn and one sex link have started laying. Is this normal? It's really stressing me out witnessing this bullying. :/

5. sbhkma

sbhkma Chillin' With My Peeps

I've head that leghorns can tend to be a more aggressive breed. Might be what you're experiencing now, as they're maturing into laying hens. 60 square feet should be fine, really. Especially with the addition of free-range time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by