1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens are pets, not food! (Except eggs)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by cathensley, Apr 21, 2016.

1. cathensley

cathensley New Egg

Apr 21, 2016
    Hey y'all!
    My name is Catherine and I am still new to this chicken scene! I started out with 4 Ameracauna chicks who were 1 week old. Just recently I lost two of them to a curious dog. Now, I have the two surviving Ameracaunas, who are four weeks old, and two 4 day old Rhode Island Reds!

2. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    Welcome to BYC.

Mine are pets too, but what else would a 10-15 ounce bird be? My smallest hen could brood her eggs in the palm of my hand-another uses a cereal bowl for a nest.

[​IMG]

Check out the categories at the top of this page. You might find them interesting.

3. mlm Mike

mlm Mike Sunna and Mani

Aug 14, 2010
    Hardy Township, OH
    [​IMG]

4. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Catherine and welcome to BYC.

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre (even you are an experienced hand) https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center, and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box as there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - just type the name of your state in the search box.

All the best
    CT

5. rottlady

rottlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2016
    Georges Mills, NH
    My chickens are pets and food. I have birds that will be egg layers/chick makers and birds that will be in the freezer by fall

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Flock Master Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Dogs/ cats, can cause a lot of grief. Please make sure they cannot get to your chickens. The dog succeeded, he will keep trying.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by