Chickens are scared of me

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LeGardenChicken, Apr 8, 2017.

1. LeGardenChicken

LeGardenChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2017
    Australia
    My chickens used to be very happy to see me and would run around and follow me but I went on holidays for a week and came back and now there terrified of me. If I enter they run away into there nesting box
    How can I fix this?

2. PraiseGod

PraiseGod Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2017
    Heart in Jerusalem
    some favorite treats maybe. I've never dealt with that.spending extra time too to rebuild a bond. Maybe something happened while you were away and it's not necessarily you.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  3. Birdinhand

Birdinhand Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2016
    I would get in the coop and find a comfortable place to sit, maybe on a bucket and just be there, nice and still, slow movements, allowing yourself to become part of the scenery. they will rebond if given the chance. I'd hang out in there for at least 15 minutes at a time.

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    X 2 -- take a book, as this is a great way to occupy yourself and keep you from starting at/focusing on the chickens (which can make you seem like a predator). If/when they do approach you, do nothing -- let them come to you and move away, let them climb on your legs and hop off, etc -- let it be on their terms. Often an eager person will reach for the bird as soon as one is brave enough to approach and, again, this only makes you seem predatory. Sit out there and sing softly to yourself -- this allows your voice to become a familiar part of the scenery and the singing is relaxing to you and the birds, setting the tone.

5. Birdinhand

Birdinhand Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2016
    it's also possible that something happened while you were gone, maybe a neighborhood dog got in your yard or some other preditor harassed them by rushing the fencing, it's hard to say.

6. LeGardenChicken

LeGardenChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2017
    Australia
    Thank you all! It's working. Turns out, they just haven't seen a human in a bit :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by