Chickens Are Scared To Go Into The Nesting Box

mimipeaches

Songster
Jan 21, 2019
Rural IL
Why won't my chickens go into their nesting box? Here are some pictures, is there anything wrong with it? I tried putting one in there to show that they would
E3155065-002F-4CF6-8706-0F9D692CE976.jpeg
go into it but she ran straight out what should I do? There are now more pine shaving around it and in it.
86D32500-D29F-4227-A717-3CB3AFD77295.jpeg
1D9262D6-03D8-4F1D-A49A-7EE3510D3B15.jpeg

Throw a golf ball or two in there and wait a couple weeks.

Chickens are wary of any new things in their environment.
I don't have golf balls but would a plastic Easter Egg work? I have tried an aster egg before and it didn't work they took it out and played with it but maybe since this is an actual nesting box with bedding instead of a box with no lip and tons of holes it might work better?

id suggest buying a few ceramic eggs at tractor supply. in my experience they work great. i had issues with my chickens laying every where, one was eating eggs, and some laying sporadicly. not long after i started using those they always lay in the nest box, stopped eating eggs, and they seem to lay more consistently. i keep 2 in each nesting spot. when they start looking dirty i bring them in and just wash them with dish soap. i do remove them in freezing weather cause i can't imagine its comfortable sitting on a cold ceramic egg.

id suggest buying a few ceramic eggs at tractor supply. in my experience they work great. i had issues with my chickens laying every where, one was eating eggs, and some laying sporadicly. not long after i started using those they always lay in the nest box, stopped eating eggs, and they seem to lay more consistently. i keep 2 in each nesting spot. when they start looking dirty i bring them in and just wash them with dish soap. i do remove them in freezing weather cause i can't imagine its comfortable sitting on a cold ceramic egg.
I have looked into that but they are so expensive! And the lady who checked me out said to use an easter egg so I was wondering if I was doing something wrong or if I am supposed to try and cover the egg to make it look like it started there? Do you know because I don't want to go and spend 7-10 dollars just for a fake egg.

Plastic Easter Eggs work but you need to fill with sand or gravel & glue shut. That's what I use. You may want to put more shavings it, up to that line on the right. They'll work it to their comfort.
They may not be ready, how old are they? They'll go in & investigate when they're ready but if you put the nest box too soon, they'll end up sleeping in it.

I
I have looked into that but they are so expensive! And the lady who checked me out said to use an easter egg so I was wondering if I was doing something wrong or if I am supposed to try and cover the egg to make it look like it started there? Do you know because I don't want to go and spend 7-10 dollars just for a fake egg.

Ceramic eggs have worked the one time I used them recently. I have a girl that will lay on the ground bedding occasionally. Wish you lived closer so I could lend you mine.
The other thing that crossed my mind is that the girls like to have their nests at least 12" to 15" off the ground. Not sure if that's something you may want to try?
When I first got the girls and they were settling in, my rooster would go into the nesting boxes and scatter everything very proudly and then perch at the opening as if to say "Clear". They jumped right in after that! Lol. But then he tried jumping on top of them so I had to get different nesting boxes! :lau

48FA2E99-86E4-4559-ACFE-1F6D9DA80434.jpeg
1E3661C3-A1A7-403C-867C-87AC847FF9D1.jpeg
EAA6A290-2155-4B47-A4CC-5D052D6C53C4.jpeg
30DAFCD2-A11A-4A3B-BCBD-31AB2361BDF0.jpeg
EAA6A290-2155-4B47-A4CC-5D052D6C53C4.jpeg
Plastic Easter Eggs work but you need to fill with sand or gravel & glue shut. That's what I use. You may want to put more shavings it, up to that line on the right. They'll work it to their comfort.
They may not be ready, how old are they? They'll go in & investigate when they're ready but if you put the nest box too soon, they'll end up sleeping in it.
My Black Sumatra is 8 months and my other 9 are 6 months and 5 days one seems like she is ready to lay my black andalusian because I caught her and my rooster mating I don't know if that is a sign that I should get an egg soon but I heard that it was. This is her

Back
Top Bottom