Chickens are scattering food around

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by belgie, Jun 6, 2011.

1. belgie

belgie Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2011
    I've had my ready to lays for 4 weeks and started them on laying mash.( I think thats what its called bits of corn and grains and oyster shells) The first time I filled the feeder it lasted 6 days, now in 3 its empty but its all over the floor. Why are they doing this? Will they eat it off the floor? Should I let them?

2. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    I don't actually have a feeder mine just eat off the ground, so they will do this. Naturally chickens like to scratch at the ground(in the wild to uncover hidden food) so them scratching their food out of their feeder is normal. If I were you I would just give them food on the ground. Good luck and [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. chickmashnoon

chickmashnoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Funny

I was thinking that the mix of litter and a little poo must add flavor since they kick it out soooo much. Letting them eat the scratch and mash out of their litter won't hurt? I'm new too and it just makes me nervous but it's not like the little boogers give me much of a choice [​IMG]

4. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

No sense in pouring money on the ground. Wrap your tray in chicken wire if it is a shallow tray and welded wire if a trough-style feeder. This prevents flicking and/ or scratching the feed out.

I also prevent waste by feeding only once a day, usually in the evening in the warmer months, in the morning in the colder. Watch to see how much they consume and adjust your feeding amounts accordingly so that they only have enough feed available for one day. This prevents excessive feed loss from rodents, gives the birds fresh meal each day and also helps you regulate their diet. Fat birds don't lay well.

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It is generally recommended on here to feed free choice, at least during daylight hours. But people have different approaches.

My chickens would rather forage than eat from a feeder, so they certainly eat off the ground. If the feeder is hung at their "shoulder" level, they shouldn't be able to get much out. You can put something like a scrap of plywood under it to catch spilled feed and encourage them to eat what has spilled if you wish. You can also buy pellets rather than crumble, which they usually waste less of.

6. SFlChicks

SFlChicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2010
    South Florida
    Raising Peeps is a crazy learning experience, but hopefully it will be fun for you as well.

It used to make me crazy how there was always food on the floor of the breeder box until I realized it was their preference. Now that they are older (10 months) I throw the scratch around the yard and their coop, and put the pellets in a large, flat bowl. (They prefer the pellets to be moist.)

You will probably find that your girls will train you to do things to their liking! Just throw all your common sense out the window and hang on for the ride [​IMG]

7. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Here's the inside of my coop.[​IMG]

8. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Notice I have two feeders one hanging & one on the wall . I also have two water-ers

9. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    first off, [​IMG] glad you joined us :)

and second, my chickens are notorious with spilling their food, so we are building a rectangular wooden box with shallow sides and a couple support middle beams to be able to withstand the weight of the feeder. the top of the box will be secured with hardware cloth and one side of the box will have a small door that can be either lifted of pulled out so we can empty the feed back into the feeder.

Ema

10. belgie

belgie Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2011
    Thank you all I do feel better knowing this is 'normal' I do let them out in a penned area during the day. I will try sprinkling scratch ( thats the feed right?) on the ground . I loved the picture of you coop and the high roosting area! I have the hanging feeder and water thing ( I don't know what its called) I will also raise my feeder a bit.
    Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by