chickens are sick need help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mycountrycabin, Jul 22, 2008.

  1. mycountrycabin

    mycountrycabin Songster

    Mar 29, 2008
    my neighbor has thown poison in my pen and they r dieing and the others r acting real weak and falling over when they walk, is their anything that i can give them to keep them from dying
  2. arlee453

    arlee453 Songster

    Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    What kind of poision? Was it malicious (ie, trying to kill your chickens) or accidental? (ie, spraying for weeds and oversprayed into your pen, etc)

    Yikes! Antidotes/treatement for poisioning varies greatly depending on what the substance is, so if you know what it was that will help!
  3. mycountrycabin

    mycountrycabin Songster

    Mar 29, 2008
    it looks like rat poison and she did it on purposs
  4. Chirpy

    Chirpy Balderdash

    May 24, 2007
    I have no idea if you can treat for rat poison -- call your vet and talk to him/her immediately and ask.

    You need to take pictures of the rat poison and your chickens and document anything that shows your neighbor did this. If it were me, I'd be on the phone with the police already to file a report.
  5. i would call the police and have her arrested. Then call a local vet and get the best care that woman's money can buy. Sorry i don't know any antidotes, but a vet will. Can you get some of the poison and the chickens in somewhere?
  6. whitecra

    whitecra Songster

    Mar 12, 2008
    I would be reporting her to someone. I don't know if there is anything you can do for them or not.
  7. CathyB

    CathyB Songster

    Apr 6, 2008
    OMG, call a vet and the police right away! I can not believe someone would do that on purpose. Bring that neighbor up on charges!! Hope your chickens can be saved........
  8. Silkiemama

    Silkiemama In the Brooder

    Jul 21, 2008
    S.E. Ohio
    I am so sorry - what a cruel thing to do. Call a vet, then the police, then the SPCA. Your neighbor needs to be punished for this.
  9. Flyingbavarian

    Flyingbavarian In the Brooder

    Jul 19, 2008
    Central Oklahoma
    document everything you can with pics or video and make sure you call the police. [​IMG]
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  10. dlhunicorn

    dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

    Jan 11, 2007
    vit K is what is most often advised for rat poison in birds (however there are different kinds of rodenticides so please review the info in the second link):
    (Dr. Jeanne Smith, DVM Avian Health Services )
    "....Rodenticides. The most commonly used rodenticides are anti-coagulants. Clinical signs of toxicosis may be bleeding from the mouth, nose, or vent, bruising. Treatment consists of treatments of vitamin K1..."
    MERCK veterinary manual (poultry)
    Reviews several commonly used rodenticides and gives exact treatment measures

    general info on rodenticides and pets:
    "....Rodenticides are classified according to both their basic ingredient compounds and by how they act on their target. These categories include: Anti-coagulant rodenticides, cholecalciferol, strychnine, zinc phosphide, bromethalin, compound 1080 and more. The most common rodenticide poisoning seen in veterinary practice is that of the anti-coagulant rodenticides. These poisons - with ingredient names like warfarin, fumarin, diphacinone, bromadiolone - act by interfering with the animal's ability to utilize Vitamin K. One of they key roles of Vitamin K is in the production of coagulation factors in the body which cause blood to clot when necessary. Although we are not aware of it, normal physiological processes require blood to clot many times a day in our bodies and that of our pets. Without the necessary coagulation factors, normal minor bleeding in the body goes unchecked which, without treatment, becomes major bleeding, with blood loss anemia, hemorrhage and death resulting. With most anti-coagulant rodenticides, signs are not seen until 3-5 days after the pet has ingested the poison. Clinical signs include weakness, difficult breathing, pale mucous membranes, and bleeding from the nose. Other types of rodenticides have different mechanisms of action with some (i.e., strychnine and bromethalin) causing neurological signs such as incoordination, seizures and others cardiac failure (i.e., cholecalciferol). If accidental ingestion of rat poison is suspected, contact your veterinary clinic immediately, even if your dog or cat is showing no obvious signs of being ill. Be sure, if possible, to bring the poison container in to the clinic in order to determine the specific toxin and provide the best treatment. Early recognition is critical as some poisons, particularly the anti-coagulant rodenticides, can be successfully treated if the poisoning is caught early and treated appropriately. ..."
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: