Chickens are so easily amused

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by gritsar, Dec 1, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Out and about this morning, I could see my adult chickens a good distance away in a pasture.

After checking things out in the juvenile coop I decided to take the long way around to the adult coop. One of my big girls, Chloe, saw me and came running from across the pasture. She followed me all the way back to their coop; a good acre, acre and a half away.

Feeling bad that Chloe had traveled all that way and I didn't have anything to offer her, I stepped inside the coop and grabbed a handful of their layer pellets out of one of the feeders.

Offered Chloe a little bit from my hand and then dropped the rest on the ground.

She's out there eating still, clucking happily like I just gave her the best treat in the world. [​IMG]

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

"Oooooh, she gave it to me, personally! Anything from The Hands is a TREAT! Om nom nom..."

Yup, I know this syndrome. It comes in real handy, at times, doesn't it?!?

3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Very handy! My big girls are getting fat and I'm trying to cut down on the treats. Good thing for me that they love their layer pellets, so long as they aren't in the feeder. [​IMG]

4. silkiechick236

silkiechick236 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Quote:Very handy! My big girls are getting fat and I'm trying to cut down on the treats. Good thing for me that they love their layer pellets, so long as they aren't in the feeder. [​IMG]

I've noticed this w/ my girls lately. Can have a feeder full of layer or scratch and ignore it but the second you throw a handful on the ground, they're all over it! [​IMG]

5. jojo54

jojo54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    BC Canada

How can you tell the difference between fat and fluffy? [​IMG]

6. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas

How can you tell the difference between fat and fluffy? [​IMG]

These girls are waddling like ducks! [​IMG] Seriously, they are LF brahmas and they have a tendency towards fatness as they get older. I've been feeding corn (chops) to fatten em up for winter, but may have gone too far. [​IMG]
    If you have to hunt to feel the breast bone, they're too fat.

7. Q9

Q9 General Headache

If our chickens even see the food get moved, they're all over it. [​IMG] [​IMG] They're really not the brightest critters on Earth.

Now, if you toss them bread... [​IMG] And people say humans are the only creatures that start wars. [​IMG]

8. chickenGRAFFITI

chickenGRAFFITI Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2009
    Quote:Well, YOU were the one that tossed the bread......
    [​IMG]

9. Q9

Q9 General Headache

Quote:Well, YOU were the one that tossed the bread......
    [​IMG]

Good point. They LOVE that stuff. It is out and away their favorite food. They'll fight over grubs, but they go completely insane when I walk outside with a bread bag. [​IMG]

Oh, and who says I'm human? [​IMG] My friends think I'm from Mars. Can't say I blame 'em. [​IMG]

10. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by