Chickens are too chicken to go through chicken door?!?!?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jamieg, Oct 24, 2010.

1. jamieg

jamieg Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2010
    Chili, Wisconsin
    I put a cloth over the chicken coop door to help keep heat in/cold out. I had to physically pick them up and put them in the coop! Today, I opened there door and went to church. Got back and they still were in the coop!! Any ideas on helping them overcome their fears???

2. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    I don't know how this could help but at least I'll try.
    What about a Auto-chicken door? This might help them, since IMO they think their coop door is like a "wall".
    Some informations, Automatic Chicken Door

3. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    You might have to teach them, just like you have to teach dogs and cats how to use pet doors.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Just give them a little time. Help and show them til they get used to it. Chickens never like anything new.

5. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    How about tying it up 3/4 of the way and then when they get used to that, letting it down gradually until it is fully over the door (sort of like a window shade)?

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Yes, you have to teach them to use it by pinning half (or more, for some very 'chicken' chickens) of it up out of the way for a few days or a week and then gradually letting it down.

But if you do that they *will* learn.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by