Chickens are visiting the nieghbors.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by The Tinman, Aug 19, 2010.

1. The Tinman

The Tinman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Fairfield County CT
    I like to let my chickens roam where ever they like. Up until Saturday all was good. My chicken discovered my nieghbors yard and they love it there. The first time I saw them there I went over and herded them back to my property. The next day they went over there again so I went over to herd them back. The nieghbor came out and said they don`t mind the chickens and would like some eggs when they start laying. I said Ok sure but if they become a problem to let me know. Now they spend the whole day over there. I don`t mind if they just visited for a while. I know it is just a matter of time befor my nieghbor realize how much damage they can do to a flower bed and how much they can poop.
    To give you an idea of my property layout in referance to my nieghbor location. If you were to take a clock and lay it flat with my house being the center. My nieghbors back yard would start at the outer half of 10 and 11 o'clock. This would be about 50 yards away.My house is surrouned by woods on all sides All of my other nieghbors are really far away (The closes about 300 yards) and have dogs so if my chickens went to far the dogs would scare them back. They have plenty of room to wander in any other direction but that one. What can I do to derter them from going into my nieghbors yard? I really don`t want to pen them up

2. CT_Todd

CT_Todd Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2010
    Hebron, CT
    Quote:You shouldn't wait till they find out the 'hard' way. You should talk to them about these specific things. That way you look like the good guy and strengthen your realtionship with the nieghbors as well...

3. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    Its possible that your neighbor is actually feeding them or has something growing in their yard they like. I agree with the other post make a point of talking to the neighbor let them know the down side of having them in their yard, they might start chasing them home.

4. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I ended up putting a chicken wire fence up on both sides of the yard after my golden laced wyandotte roo I had at the time decided to go into the neghbors garage and perch on top of his hot rod..... Give em an inch and they will take a mile [​IMG]

5. Bat Cave Silkies

Bat Cave Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    I hate to be a party-pooper, but here goes....
    We've all read countless forums of chicken owners complaining of neighbors dogs, cats, kids, etc coming into their yard and killing/harassing the chickens. We all become irate and are ready to shoot the dog, cat, etc.
    The problem goes both ways. Eventually, your chickens are going to cause a problem for your neighbor, or one of those "far away" dogs is going to find your chickens.
    I suggest you act now to prevent a problem thats just waiting to happen~~fence an area for your birds to free range in.

Good fences make good neighbors.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The neighbors may say they don't mind, but you could find out the hard way that they are beginning to become irritated with the intrusion. Free range is good, if they stay on your property. I have to say that you can still let them range, but contain them by putting up fence panels of some sort. Mine free range, but I perimeter fenced 2 of my 5 acres with livestock fencing. They have plenty of freedom, but they do not visit the neighbors and wandering dogs can't easily run across the property and slaughter chickens along the way.

7. The Tinman

The Tinman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Fairfield County CT
    I spoke with them and told them of my concerns about the chicken digging up the flower beds. They still don`t mind. I still don`t want them to go there and end up being annoying like so many peoples dogs that are allow to wonder. I thought somebody might have an idea how to deter them from going over there like maybe putting a fake owl in a tree or something.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Good fences make for good neighbors.

9. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    Quote:x100
    I would strongly suggest you make every effort to keep your chickies home. Create absolutely NO possiblilities for any tensions or argument to arise. A good neighbor is a gem, keep it that way by being a good neighbor also.
    My neighbor likes to free-range her horse herd in my front yard, gardens, etc. After 10 years of requests of all sorts of volumes and tones, it was the nice mr. police officer who settled things.......at least about the free-ranging horses.
    Tension between neighbors is absolutely horrible. Quite sad, actually. So I would encourage you strongly, even if they don't mind, to keep your activities on your side of the line.......good luck.

10. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    I agree with nearly all that was said here. Good fences make for good neighbors. A good neighbor is a good thing indeed. I would also give them eggs as soon as you can. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by