Chickens aren't drinking corid water.

Eggswithleggs

Songster
Jul 13, 2018
New Mexico
Does anyone know if it's okay to mix quik chick electrolyte solution with corid? My birds seem to be rejecting the corid laced water and I'm hoping that the quik chick will mask it so they'll drink it? I have the 9.6% corid solution and I was told to mix 2 tsp per gallon. They were vaccinated and I didn't feed medicated, but someone has "melted chocolate poo" with a slight reddish tint. Pic attached for reference. TIA

Attachments

• Poop_1.PNG
    Poop_1.PNG
    444.9 KB · Views: 74
You can't. Corid is amprolium, and it works by blocking the uptake of thiamine, thus killing off the coccidia. Adding Quik Chick, which I believe contains vitamins as well as electrolytes, will add thiamine to the water, and thus will cancel out the Corid.
Do you know if there's anything else I could add to make it more "appetizing?" A little sugar perhaps?

Does anyone know if it's okay to mix quik chick electrolyte solution with corid? My birds seem to be rejecting the corid laced water and I'm hoping that the quik chick will mask it so they'll drink it? I have the 9.6% corid solution and I was told to mix 2 tsp per gallon. They were vaccinated and I didn't feed medicated, but someone has "melted chocolate poo" with a slight reddish tint. Pic attached for reference. TIA
Are the chicks lethargic? If they are sick with Coccidiosis, they may not want to drink, so do what you can to encourage them.

Were they vaccinated for Coccidiosis or Marek's, where did they come from?

if they aren't drinking mix some med water in their food to make a mash, then dip their beaks in it, get them eating. They may be too sick to drink. Hand water them, drips on the tip of the beak.

Are the chicks lethargic? If they are sick with Coccidiosis, they may not want to drink, so do what you can to encourage them.

They are 12 weeks and four days old. I ordered them from McMurray, and they were vaccinated for both Mareks and Coccidiosis. I will be in the run working on the coop tomorrow, so I'll have plenty of opportunities to observe their activity levels and behavior. I may just be overreacting, but I don't want to lose any of them.

They are 12 weeks and four days old. I ordered them from McMurray, and they were vaccinated for both Mareks and Coccidiosis. I will be in the run working on the coop tomorrow, so I'll have plenty of opportunities to observe their activity levels and behavior. I may just be overreacting, but I don't want to lose any of them.
That's a good idea! Just watch them to see if anybody acts off. It's always better to be safe than sorry.

Sugar might do it :) Also, that poop you saw might have just been a normal cecal poop.
I'm probably just freaking out a little...I don't know! I just want to do the best I can by them. It was so heartbreaking and disheartening when I'd lose one with no warning or understanding of why, my first go around. :-( Thanks for your response!

Back
Top Bottom