1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens aren't laying yet

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by carmen chicks, Jan 25, 2012.

1. carmen chicks

carmen chicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2011
    My 25 week old chickens arent laying yet i was wondering whats wrong as i fed them all the right feed ??

2. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Very normal. My 31 week chicken isn't laying yet, and neither

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It could be lots of things but most likely point of lay in the dead of winter.
    Two things, what time do they get out in the morning/do you add lights.
    What do you mean by 'all the right food'?

4. carmen chicks

carmen chicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2011
    they get out at 7.30. I mean like i have feed them the right way from when they were chicks

5. bigstack

bigstack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Texarkana, TX
    I use the Cayenne pepper method for late bloomers!

Its what my granny did and is what my family has done for over 100 years. We mix up a pan of corn bread as a treat (11x13 pan) but add 4 TBL sp of cayenne pepper powder. Chickens do NOT taste heat like humans do, so dont worry....Search for pepper thread. It is the capsaiacin (how ever its spelled) lol

The capsaicin is a chemical jump start for the reproduction system for the hens. It will not hurt them in any way! Like I said my family has been doing this for over 100 years! It will not increase more than normal production (1 egg per 20-28 Hrs) But it will kisk start the system and helps to re start after molt or winter slowdown! Usually 3-4 days later you can expect eggs. sometimes you may need to do it a second time. I have heard of people just sprinkling it over their feed. But i like the corn bread treat method!

Good Luck and God Bless!
    [​IMG]

6. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    My girls all just started laying between the age of 18 weeks (RIR) EE's started at 24 -26 (where they are now, I think they are all laying now but don't know, haven't got 7 in one day yet) the Brahma are also laying and they are 26 weeks. I give no extra lighting, they are fed Laynea Plus, I did spike it with cayenne pepper a couple weeks ago for a few days [​IMG]) They were out in coop by 12 weeks. I let them out early, door is open at 5am on work days, they free range and were out there at dawn today. When we had a snow storm and got 6 inches they were out in it the next day. there were chicken highways all over the yard. They are very healthy birds. They will lay when ready. Or you could spike their feed with cayenne pepper [​IMG] and give a boost [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by