Chickens aren't laying!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickgal16, Mar 12, 2012.

1. chickgal16

chickgal16 New Egg

Mar 12, 2012
    My chickens haven't been laying for over two months now. It's winter so I figured they'd been molting, even though we keep a light to lengthen daylight hours. But now I'm wondering if something is wrong with them. 17 hens, light, two months, and no eggs. Any tips or information you all have to give?

2. Chicken Lover 1

Chicken Lover 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2012
    santa rosa california
    Chickens don't lay in the winter time very much since it is so cold[​IMG]. If all of them are not laying probably everything is fine and the girls just think it is to cold to lay. Try feeding them food and greens that increase egg production like layer mash.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/423023/why-arent-my-chickens-laying-here-are-your-answers

That's a lot of chickens not to see any eggs at all for that long. I've never had my entire flock molt badly enough at the same time that I got no eggs for anywhere near that long. Even in winter, I don't think I've ever gone longer than one day without at least one egg, and I have 10 hens. I suspect either they are laying somewhere else, especially if they are free range, or something is eating the eggs. You could even have a flock of egg eating chickens, but you should have seen sign of it on their face or head, or in the nests. Is it possible some small predators are getting in there and eating them? Where I live, snakes eating eggs can be a problem, but they usually leave some.

Another thought -- is a human stealing them?

4. chickgal16

chickgal16 New Egg

Mar 12, 2012
    Thanks. I'll have to look into those links.
    We're just baffled because no signs of any eggs have been seen at all for two months. Also, there haven't been any feathers anywhere that I would expect to see during molting. ???
    Hoping they'll pick up soon!!!

5. snow white

snow white New Egg

Apr 17, 2012
    Hello
    My girls aren't laying either and I have even considered someone is collecting up the eggs while we are out. lol
    Although I'm sure that's not the case but it is a mystery. They all stopped at the same time. I have now been more educated by this site and its quite possible not enough sunlight......but I'm in Queensland where apparently the sun always shines so thought they might be happy.
    One is also very fatigued and won't eat or drink. I gave her a warm bath and checked her bottom but no sign of anything unusual. When I picked her up for a cuddle she was very light.
    Kind regards

6. ilovehorses

ilovehorses Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2012
    I had the same exact problem! I also had a light to try to extend the day and give off some heat ,but it didn't seem to affect right away. Then we figured to go and buy better quality feed (more expensive). Now we have 7 chickens and they are laying 5 to 7 eggs a day!![​IMG]

7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

How old are the hens?

8. kreagerm

kreagerm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2012
    All my EE's stopped laying a month ago. I have a feeling they won't start back up until spring. All brown layers are laying like normal.

9. chiefslogan

chiefslogan Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2012
    Iowa
    Eggs are 97% protein. So I'd feed your chickens more protein like snacks. Such as roasted peanuts. Meat. Or even a boiled egg or too. Sounds gross but eggs are good for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by