1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens aren't laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Montana Egg, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Montana Egg

Montana Egg New Egg

Mar 25, 2012
    I have ten chickens of different breeds they are just over a year old they have been laying just fine until now in August we got new chicks which have been doing good also but now we are down to six eggs a day we were getting regularly 10 a day nothing has changed other than the chicks they are in a penthouse sweet above the other chickens and have been since August don't know what it could be thank you

2. Crazy Wife

Crazy Wife Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2012
    Wise River, MT
    Montana Egg - I, too, am from Montana and mine were laying great up until a few weeks ago. I thought it was worms, so I gave them dewormer but still too few eggs. I also thought the new girls, age 16 weeks, were eating eggs. Can't really find any evidence of that, though.

Are you having tons of smoke from forest fires in your area, too? I wonder if that could be affecting the girls?

3. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    Molting??

4. Crazy Wife

Crazy Wife Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2012
    Wise River, MT
    A few of mine are molting, but not enough to decrease the eggs by that much. I have 20 adults hens, maybe 6 molting and only 3 eggs per day.

5. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Lack of light.

6. Montana Egg

Montana Egg New Egg

Mar 25, 2012
    Hey sorry for long delay on not answering I'm back to normal I think wise river is right smoke by the way I live in Alder Sheridan area not to far away but now the smoke is gone and back to normal thank you everyone

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by