1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens aren't learning new water system?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ksandvig, Feb 12, 2015.

1. ksandvig

ksandvig Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2014
    Lake Stevens Wa
    Ok so a few weeks ago we made the nipple water system w/ a 5 gl bucket, we drilled holes in bottom of bucket & put 4 nipples in, it is hanging in the run & they haven't touched it :/ I have sat there day after day showing them there is water in it LOL nope they don't use it :(
    Any suggestions???? I haven't taken their regular waterer out as I don't want them to NOT drink??!!
    Thanks in advance :)

2. Wxguru

Wxguru Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    ARKANSAS
    Take the regular waterer out of the run....they may be dependent on it...they will look for the source.....just keep at it. Patience is the key...they are birds after all...lol :)

3. Urban Flock

Urban Flock Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2014
    Southern Oregon
    x2.

4. ksandvig

Sep 8, 2014
    Lake Stevens Wa
    Well OK I guess I will try that today, gee I will feel bad haha but guess I will keep an eye on them to see if it works thanks :)

5. Wxguru

Wxguru Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    ARKANSAS
    Just keep an eye on them. Once they realize their normal source is gone...curiosity will start getting them...and they should go to the other waterer. If you see them looking at it at that point, you might go out there and tap the nipples and see if they reach up for the water....

1 person likes this.
  6. yyz0yyz0

yyz0yyz0 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2012
    A couple suggestions that might help:

Put the new waterer in the same place as you removed the old one.

If you are really worried you could try putting a small dab of peanut butter on each nipple, although I don't think it will be needed.

7. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

If you can get ONE of them to drink from the nipples, the rest will learn from that one. It will not hurt them to get thirsty enough to start looking for a source of water. They will be fine!

8. ksandvig

Sep 8, 2014
    Lake Stevens Wa
    Ok well I took old waterer out & watched them today and then took a couple & put their beaks on it well they are almost ALL drinking out of it now!♡ I was going to move it to where old one was & may still so my other new girl will catch on as she just stays away from everyone.
    THANKS for the suggestions :)

9. RJSorensen

RJSorensen Chicken George

Just a comment, that yes, it is harder for the owner, than it is for the chicken. I love my horizontal nipples and would not ever go back. Like the Nike commercial of a few years back, "Just Do It."

[​IMG]

One of my setups.

Best to you and your birds,

RJ

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  10. ksandvig

Sep 8, 2014
    Lake Stevens Wa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by