Chickens arnt laying much.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AllAlaskan, Nov 7, 2010.

1. AllAlaskan

AllAlaskan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Alaska, MatSu
    Hello, I will tell you what I got and when i got them so you undertand the age diffrences. Last June I picked up 2 Golden Comets and 3 RIR hens That were all born on May 27th. Then a month later I picked up 5 Barred rock hens that were born June 25th. Then a little over a month ago I picked up 2 Wyndotte (gold color) hens who are around a year and a half old and a BR Rooster who is 2 years old along with a (at the time) 6 month old Americauna Rooster (dont know if he is pure breed or not, she just said he was Americauna. He is Black with a deep green pearl color in his feathers when they are hit by light and have a few little gold specks on his neck. He also has the ear muffs and beard).

Up untill about 2 weeks ago I have gotten NO eggs. Two weeks ago one of the Wyndotte hens started laying roughly 1 a day, skipping a day hear and there but she lays one almost every day now. Then 3 days ago I found another egg, it was much smaller then the one the Wyndotte is laying which makes me think it is one of my GC or RIRs. I think it may be one of the RIR because day before yesterday when I found the 2nd egg she fallowed me back inside the coop and pecked me when I went near the box and she is normally a big sweet heart. So for that reasen I think it may be her.

But the rest of the birds are not laying. I had a goose but seperated her from the chickens around 3 weeks ago because she was getting to be meen to my ladies. Also I Always keep there water full and fresh and have a white light that kicks on at about 4 am and stays on till about 10am (normally full daylight at about 9-10 am here) Then kicks back on at about 5 pm (gets dark by 6'ish) and stays on till 8pm. I was feeding them Feed from Walmart but after hearing of about 4 people who have had there birds drop dead within 3 days of eating feed from the Wasilla Walmart I have decided to change who I get my feed from. So I am not buying them Nutrina crumble 20% protien and They get a little bit of cracked corn that i throw outside on the ground that they like to scratch at for the rest of the day (We have snow on the ground but half of the outside run is covered so they have access to dirt/sand) till it starts to get dark outside.

Im just not sure if Im doing something wrong or if I just have a bunch of Late layers. Now the 2 roosters......The Barred Rock Rooster is the dominate of the 2. He is about 2 years old and he runs the show. The Amaricauna is younger and he shows no aggression what so ever. I actually had a problum with the Hens beating him up when I first got them lol. Now the Barred Rock rooster seems to be pretty good with the girls. I havent seen him outright attack or chase them around. Once in a while when they are all eating I noticed that if they try to shove him out of the way He may throw a peck here or there to make them back up but other then that I havnt seen him be over aggressive.

If Any of you have any advice or questions I would appreciate any imput. I got these chickens for Laying and atm they arnt really doing that haha.

2. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Being from where you are located, could it be they are molting?

I know mine are.

3. AllAlaskan

Jun 19, 2010
    Alaska, MatSu
    They just came out of a molt about a month ago. All the chickens of the 10 younger birds molted at about the same time with the Barred rocks being the last to finish and that was about a month ago. The wyndottes havent molted since I got them but I have only had them for just over a month BUT i know for a fact 1 of them is laying but dont think the other is laying yet. But when they did molt it looked like I had killed a bunch of chickens in the run lol, there was feathers every where.

Since I am new to raising chickens it could be possible, but I havent seen to many loose feathers lately. From what I have read i THINK (key word ) that they arent but I could be wrong.

I swept out the run just before the snow and cleaned out the coop at the same time and Im not seeing nearly as many feathers since. And it has been about 2 weeks since I cleaned out the coop and run.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  4. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    It is a little early to expect the June hatchlings to lay, give them another month. The May ones should be starting--my May 30th hatched birds just started in midOctober--but I would expect the Golden Comet to be first. Since the Wyndotte is laying I suspect she is now adjusted to her new home and past any moult. Give them a little more time and they should all be laying with the light conditions you're giving them.

5. AllAlaskan

Jun 19, 2010
    Alaska, MatSu
    Alright, thanks for the imput [​IMG] I figued it was a little early for the barred rocks but figured the Golden Comets and RIR should be starting. I do think that my other layer is one of the RIR cause again today I went into the coop to double check and she fallowed me in and again when i went to pet her she pecked at me a couple times and would not let me go near the box with the yellow golf ball lol. I was just getting a little dishearted knowing that both my moms birds (same age as my may birds) and my neighbors birds who are the same age and my barred Rocks and all of his birds and most of my moms were all laying lol. So I dont feel to bad now. I just wasnt sure if I was doing something wrong.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by