1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens as therapy animals

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by barbaraann123, Jun 15, 2011.

1. barbaraann123

barbaraann123 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
    CHARLESTON
    Does anyone know how to go about getting Therapy Bird status for a chicken (bantam)? What items are needed or documents. Thanks, B

2. Kat'sChicks

Kat'sChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Minonk, IL
    A lot depends on the laws in your area. There's a site with some good general info...www.avma.org....and the bird to be used has to be up to date on any shots/tests required. I've been asked several times if I'd be interested in taking silkies to the local home for a visit, but just don't want the liability in case something would happen. I love letting people stop out and interact with my birds and being able to educate them about chickens, but that's as far as I go.

3. barbaraann123

barbaraann123 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
    CHARLESTON
    Thanks for that, I never thought about shots! I have had this bird for just over 3 mos., and from two days, he was the easiest to pick up and handle. I always thought he was a hen, but the crowing proved me wrong. I thought a bantam had a lower decible crow, but found out that he's a silver leghorn and they crow loud! Thanks again! B

4. Squishypuff

Squishypuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Kernersville, NC
    I'm an evaluator for the Delta Society's Pet Partners program. Relatively cheap, easy to pass the testing, an you get $1 million insurance coverage during your therapy visits for free with your registration. We accept chickens. Check on the website to find your local evaluator, and also should have the specifics on medical stuff. I know you must have a vet visit, you get a form for the vet to sign. I have not tested any chickens yet, so I apologize for not knowing the specifics! www.deltasociety.org.

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

I hope they use chickens as a therapy animal when I'm out of it and can't move [​IMG] That would cheer me up! Especially if it come with my kids and hubby [​IMG]

6. Didi2016

Didi2016 New Egg

Dec 3, 2015
    Hi,

Your link for the Delta Society goes to pet partners. Is Pet Partners the Delta Society?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by