Chickens at camp!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by campchickens, Jan 8, 2015.

1. campchickens

campchickens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2015
    Central Virginia
    Hello friends! I started working with chickens for the first time in my life a few months ago when I started a new job as Director of Environmental Ministries at a Presbyterian camp. I adore them! I have 13, all about two years old: three Barred Rocks, three Buff Orpingtons, two Black Australorps, two Jersey Giants, one Ameracauna, one Rhode Island Red, and one rooster, a Birchen Maran named Walden (he spends a lot of time in the woods next to our little farm because the hens aren't too crazy about him).

Also part of the program: four goats, an enormous garden, plans for a pollinator meadow and bees, a potential pair of alpaca, and almost 600 acres of field, forest, and lake. We host eight weeks of summer camp and a variety of year-round programs. We're looking forward to hatching some eggs this summer during camp, and then tracking them on our blog during the year.

I spend a lot of time on Google looking for answers to crazy questions about chickens, which constantly leads me here. I'm thankful for this community's knowledge, and looking forward to being part of the conversation!

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

3. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

[​IMG][​IMG]

4. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Hello [​IMG] and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]

So glad you joined the flock! Chickens are sooooooooooo easy to get addicted to![​IMG] You have a great selections of birds! Including my favorites (Barred rocks, Buff orpingtons, and Ameracaunas). BYC is a great site and we are all grateful for it. Feel free to ask any questions!

[​IMG]

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Sounds like you have a fun job!! Got any openings?? [​IMG] I am just teasing. [​IMG]

Enjoy all your critter adventures and we do welcome you to our flock!

1 person likes this.
  6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

8. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

9. campchickens

campchickens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2015
    Central Virginia
    My husband asks me almost daily if there are any openings, ha ha. It is pretty awesome!

10. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. At one time or another over the years, I've had all the breeds on your list, and you have some great breeds. Black Australorps are my favorite standard breed. I've raised them for years and they are extremely hardy, calm and gentle (my children, and now my granddaughter, made lap pets of them), and excellent layers of large, brown eggs. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by