Chickens at night.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by momiller, May 21, 2016.

1. momiller

momiller New Egg

Mar 15, 2016
    Is it necessary to close chickens up in their coop at night if they are in a totally enclosed area?

2. bluto in mo

bluto in mo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2015
    I wouldn't think so. My sister doesn't close them up at all. She has a 6ft chain link fence only for a pen. The coup is an old shed with a hole cut out no door. They have no problems. She had chicken for 10yrs

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us.

Opinions differ regarding your question, but in the absence of an automatic pop door to let your chickens out very early during the summer, its a good idea.

Best wishes
    CT

4. marilyn1

marilyn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2013
    florida
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    I would I had a opossum come in and get one of my silkies. I have a dog box in that enclosure in back. They used to sleep there. I trained them to go into a carrier at the front. I just go out at night and bring them in. Of course I only have 4 girls.[​IMG][​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    It's better to lock them in the coop at dusk. Night brings out some of the more skillful, predators and they can take their time figuring out a way to get your birds. Better safe than sorry.

Birds do not like to move around in the dark, so are sitting ducks waiting to be slaughtered. Years of answering new members on here, has taught me so.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. momiller

momiller New Egg

Mar 15, 2016
    Thanks! We only have 7 - we have had 16 straight days of rain - poor things are spending more time in their coop than they want I'm sure! I see you have a goat in your profile - we have 6 bohr goats - love them!

8. chickenweirdo1

chickenweirdo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2016
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    [​IMG]Great to have another poultry lover!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by