Chickens at night

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by doubledfarms, Apr 15, 2012.

1. doubledfarms

doubledfarms New Egg

Apr 12, 2012
    South Carolina
    Ok I am new to chickens and have a question about the chickens and nighttime. Am I supposed to make sure the chickens are in the coop and can't get out at night into the run? I really wish I had a guru lol

2. chick-in-florida

chick-in-florida Chillin' With My Peeps

some of mine sleep out in the run on a roost. as long as it's predator proof it doesn't matter to me.

3. Jenny28

Jenny28 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2011
    Chichester, NH
    Is your run predator proof? Ours have access to the run in the summer, and they actually prefer to roost out there. In the winter we shut the coop door at night to keep it warmer. Makes no difference as long as nothing can get in to eat them.

4. doubledfarms

doubledfarms New Egg

Apr 12, 2012
    South Carolina
    I don't have a run yet as the chicks are 2-3 weeks old but I am planning on making it predator proof since my husband has informed me of hawks, coyotes, dogs, fox, cats, etc, etc that will try to kill my chickens. I just didn't know what I was suppose to do. Thanks so much!

5. myhubbycallsmechickeemama

myhubbycallsmechickeemama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Arco, ID
    I always close my girls up at night. My reasoning....why tempt fate. :)

6. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I also lock mine up. I had some critter climb over the pen side and make a mess out of the feeders. If the door hadn't a been closed I probably wouldn't have had chickens the next day. My coop is predator proof but not the pen. No top cover.

7. Coop de Grille

Coop de Grille Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    My coop and run are completely enclosed with hardware cloth and as predator proof as I could reasonably make it. I don't even have a closing pop door on my coop. My chickens are free to come and go as they please.

8. acemario

acemario Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2012
    Northern Utah
    I have a chicken tractor that is completely enclosed. However, because we live in a canyon, our chickens would be a wonderful midnight snack for lots of hungry predators. For this reason, we also close the coop door at night. I would rather spend a few minutes each day to open and close the coop rather than lose one of our four ladies!

9. Jenny28

Jenny28 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2011
    Chichester, NH
    Our run is entirely enclosed in goat fencing. The coop is also attached to our goat barn, so unless the foxes and coyotes can pick locks, there is no way anything is getting in there. Not even a chipmunk.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by